BM #119 Week 4 Day 2 - 
- post updated 12/25/2020
For me, Badusha was always a delicacy reserved for eating during weddings. I have always been intimidated by the idea of making badushas. All the hype surrounding the preparation during my childhood days is probably the main reason. 

But then, my inspiration came in the form of a phone call one fine afternoon in a casual conversation with my cousin. I tweaked her recipe which involved using the readymade pancake mix. But off late I have come to appreciate these badushas made in the traditional way. My attempts so far have been successful and so I might want to stick to the traditional method. 

Trust me, the preparation was neither intimidating nor laborious. I have since prepared these umpteen number of times owing to popular demand at home. And the whole experience has been humbling and satisfying at the best!!

Ingredients -

Maida 1 cup
Baking Soda 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder 1/4 tsp
Ghee 2 Tbsp
Curd 4 Tbsp 
Oil to deep fry
For the Syrup - 
Sugar 1 cup
Water 1/2 cup
Lime juice 1 tsp



Method Of Preparation - 
To prepare the dough –

In a mixing bowl, sieve and maida, baking soda and baking powder. 

Add ghee to the flour mixture and mix well until the flour resemble bread crumbs.

Make a rough dough with curd. Make sure not to knead vigorously. Even if there are bits of flour around, let it be. Cover and set aside for 20 minutes. Make sure no water is added. 



While the dough sits in a covered mixing bowl, prepare the syrup and start heating the oil in a medium flame. 

Care should be taken to fry the badushas in a low-medium flame because otherwise, the insides wouldn't cook properly leaving a bad taste when eaten.

To prepare the syrup -
Take 1 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil until a single string consistency and add the lime juice so that the syrup maintains the consistency.

Badusha Preparation -
Break the dough into pieces making sure to keep the layers intact. So just keep breaking the dough and putting it together thereby mixing the dough. 

The right temperature of the oil is when a pinch of dough is dropped, it should stay at the bottom while the bubbles should rise above.

Make small discs out of the dough by not putting too much pressure and after the oil is hot enough gently slide these small discs and don't disturb them until they rise to the top on their own. 

Take a long spoon and move it around in the oil so the badushas will get evenly cooked. Fry them until they are golden brown all over.

They should slightly expand but retain their shape. 

Gently put the golden brown badushas into the sugar syrup and make sure they are covered with the syrup completely.

Leave them in the syrup for about a minute and then take them out so they can get dried and the syrup is properly absorbed.

And after an hour or so the badushas are ready to be devoured!! 

Preparation Time 20 Min + Resting Time 20 min + Frying Time 30 min
Makes 24 pieces

3 comments

  1. Anonymous Says:
  2. Hi,

    I am in India. I too was fascinated by this. I dont think bisquick is available here .could you plz suggest any alternatives

    Thanks
    Aparna

     
  3. I remember being a fan of Balushahi as a kid , but with time have given up eating most sweets. Rather I am off sweets , but I have to admit this Badusha is very well made , it has a perfect texture , seriously I feel like eating some . Thanks for making me crave 🤩

     
  4. Radha Says:
  5. They look perfect and tasty. I love badusha! my mom makes this and just beginning to crave looking at your picture. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory