This version of Rasam powder is from my mother-in-law who used to supply this powder to us until recently. But I have since learnt it from her and
I follow my her recipe to the T. Needless to say I 'almost'  get the same flavor which is a compliment in itself (commented by my mother-in-law herself!). Rasam made out of this powder is bound to be addictive!! I have friends requesting me to make this rasam for parties! All due credit to my dear mother-in-law.



Ingredients -


Dhania / Coriander Seeds 1 cup
Jeera 1/4 cup 
Chana Dal 1/4 cup 
Toor Dal 2-3 Tbsp
Pepper 1 Tbsp 
Tej Patta 10/ Rathi Puvvu fist ful
Marathi Mogga 4
Methi Seeds 1 tsp
Mustard seeds 1 sp 
Urad Dal 1 sp
Dry Red chillis about 20 (as per taste)
Curry Leaves
Hing / Asafoetida 2 pinches
Ghee 1 tsp
Salt 1/2 tsp

Method of preparation - 

In a hot skillet, dry roast Dhania, Jeera, Chana dal, Toor dal, Pepper, Rathi Puvvu, Marathi Mogga, Methi Seeds, Urad dal, Dry red chillies and Curry leaves.


In the same skillet, add 1/2 tsp of ghee and fry the mustard seeds, take them off just before they splutter and add hing to it.


While they are still slightly warm, grind all of the above to make a fine powder.


Add 1/2 tsp of salt to the powder to retain the freshness for a long time .


I recently saw the CWS event hosted by Priya of Priya's Easy and Tasty Recipes and thought it was a nice idea to have an event exclusively for spices. It luckily came at the right time for me and I wish to send my Rasam powder as my entry to the CWS-Coriander Seeds theme hosted by RV of Sourashtra Kitchen.

Makes 2 cups (approx)

Preparation Time 30 min

5 comments

  1. First time here.. wonderful recipes.. awesome job!!

     
  2. Harini Says:
  3. thx for dropping by..do visit our blog for more interesting recipes in the future.

     
  4. Anonymous Says:
  5. what is rathi puvvu and marathi mogga?

     
  6. Harini Says:
  7. Marathi Mogga is known as dried capers. Rathi puvvu is also known as pathar phool. If you look closely, it is shown in the picture.

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. Tried this with 2cups measure,it will come for around 4 months..tast twas awesome..my kid liked it.stopped purchasing packet powder completely.tastes far better than packet powder.making the powder one more time😃.thanks for sharing the receipe.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory