I am so excited about this cake today as I had this in my mind for about 10 days now about baking without ovens and microwaves. My mom used to bake in my childhood in a stove top box oven and that was a great thing around there at that time. But how else?? The answer dawned on me today and so here I am with a steamed cake!! 

This whole process was triggered after I came across the announcement  of the no bake cake event by Aparna of apycooking. I decided to try out a simple cake with no frills and so this cake. Needless to say the cake was gone in 60 seconds!! I just grabbed a few wedges of oranges and some strawberry jelly and topped the cake. Next time I should try my hand at icing/decorating. I also noted that this was a very simple, no-nonsense procedure..So even the non-bakers, can jump right in and try this out..trust me you would be thrilled!!




Ingredients - 

All Purpose Flour 1 cup (a little less than 1 cup)
Banana , ripe and mashed 1
Olive Oil 2-3 tsp
Water 2-3 Tbsp
Baking Powder 2 tsp
Sugar 1/4 cup


Some more cute clicks..


Method Of Preparation - 

In a mixing bowl, sift the all purpose flour and baking powder. Add sugar to it and mix well.


In a separate bowl, blend mashed banana, oil and water. Slowly pour this mixture into the flour and mix well. (Don't whisk it hard)


Pour this mixture in a greased dish with a little flour dusting (I used a stainless steel bowl) and place it in a steamer. 


There are a few ways to steam it. 
1. In an idli cooker, pour water and place a steel container with the batter.
2. Place the dish with the batter in a water filled container of the electric rice cooker. 
3. Use the pressure cooker without the whistle (Weight) to steam. 


I used the 1st method.


Steam it for about 40-42 min. I opened to see whether it was done couple times. Once after 20 min and another time after 35 min. But it was done after 42 min.


Take the container out and let it cool for a couple min and then run a knife through the edges and tap the container all over and invert it onto a plate.


Decorate it (?) and enjoy!!

Note - To quicken the steaming process, maybe hot water can be poured instead of cold water.

Makes 7 cake wedges


Preparation Time 5 min Steaming Time 42 min

Posted by Harini on Saturday, April 24, 2010

11 comments

  1. Madhavi Says:
  2. woww.........super....nice idea

     
  3. Ms.Chitchat Says:
  4. Very nicely baked cake.

     
  5. Simplyfood Says:
  6. Steamed cake never tried that before.Sounds very innovative.

     
  7. Priya Suresh Says:
  8. Steamed cooked cake looks soft and awesome..thanks for sharing..

     
  9. Nithu Bala Says:
  10. Hey, this is truly awesome..I remember the same method my sister used to make cakes when she was doing her college..I never tried..think I should definetly give a try..book marked..thanks for sharing..

     
  11. looks good! thnx for sending this to the event.

     
  12. Anonymous Says:
  13. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS KIND OF RECIPE, LIKE, FOREVER!!!

     
  14. Anonymous Says:
  15. Hey, just wanted to add something to this recipe...to make it a choc sponge, replace some of the flour with cocoa powder!

     
  16. DV Says:
  17. great recipe! having very little oil, its healthy as well :)

     
  18. Kaikelasa Says:
  19. Is banana absolutely necessary or can I use any other fruit?? Thank you very much
    SHeela

     
  20. Anonymous Says:
  21. I like the valuable info you provide for your articles.
    I will bookmark your weblog and test again right here regularly.
    I'm slightly sure I'll be informed many new stuff proper here!
    Good luck for the next!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory