As soon as I saw this post by Champa, I was tempted to attempt baking this cake. But I had made a decision to keep away from sugars for a while. Finally I broke the resolve and made it 'once in a week only' !! Sweet lover as I am, can't stay away from sweets for too long..I must say that I made this for a pot luck party and so I got to eat very little of the cake (which is what I wanted!!). All my friends liked the cake and were asking for this recipe. But the best compliment was by my almost 9 yr old who said this was one of my best bakes ever!! It was the perfect texture, fluffy and light and yummmmmy. Moreover it is vegan too. Thanks to Champa, I could bake one of the best vegan cakes so far!!  


Upon my daughter's request, I baked the same cake for her birthday today and she loves it!! (Just a  small change this time - used brown sugar instead of the regular sugar and partly substituted Maida with Whole Wheat Flour) Nobody noticed the changes I made :)


Vegan Almond Date Cake


Ingredients


Wet Ingredients - 

Almonds 1 cup + a few blanched almonds for decoration
Dates 20-22 (pitted)
Oil 1/3 - 2/3 cup (I used a little less than 2/3 cup)

Vegan Almond Date Cake
Dry Ingredients - 

Maida/All Purpose Flour 3 cups
Baking Powder 2 tsp
Baking Soda 1 tsp
Salt 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder 3/4 tsp
Sugar 1 1/4 cup
Vegan Almond Date Cake
I used Agave Nectar as a glaze.


Method Of Preparation - 


Soak almonds and dates separately for about 4-6 hrs. (I sometimes boil them in the microwave for a couple minutes in a little water and that does it too!).


Grind them to a fine paste adding as much of water as is needed to make about 2 1/2 cups of the paste (a little thick batter consistency should be fine).


Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease and flour a baking pan. (I used a 12.5 cup bundt pan).


Vegan Almond Date Cake


Add oil to the paste and mix well.


In a mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients and whisk well. 


Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix so there are no lumps. Don't over mix it.


Carefully pour the batter into the prepared pan and place it in the middle of the middle rack of the oven.


Bake for about 45-55 min depending upon the oven or until a tooth pick comes out clean. ( I baked for 48 min)


Cool the pan on the wire for about 10 min and then slowly invert the cake on to the wire rack and ta da...the cute looking bundt cake smiles at you!!


Vegan Almond Date Cake


Upon cooling, I drizzled some Agave Nectar as opposed to the glaze in the original recipe and decorated with blanched almonds. We loved it !!


Sending this to the 'Bookmarked Event' happening every week at Aipi's and Priya's blogs. Also qualifies for Champa's 'Bake Off'..


Preparation Time 15 min + Baking Time 48 min
Makes 1 cake in a 12.5 cup bundt pan
Posted by Harini on Tuesday, February 1, 2011

12 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. That looks really soft and moist! This would a great one to link to my event...please check back to my site http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/01/guest-event-coming-to-now-serving.html

    Cheers,

     
  3. Shanavi Says:
  4. Great job... Perfect .no flaws @ all.. Looks so moist and would grab some to have as snacks..

    Cool blog u have and I like following u also..

    Do drop @ my space when u find time dear..

    http://jellybelly-shanavi.blogspot.com

     
  5. Cake looks so perfect. Loved the color of it. Must have tasted great as well.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  6. aipi Says:
  7. beautiful shape n perfect color n texture..I bet it tastes heavenly too!
    Thanks a lot for linking this to bookmark event :)

    US Masala

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. Looks so tempting dear, love it.

     
  10. Priya Suresh Says:
  11. Cake looks super moist,soft and great..

     
  12. Champa Says:
  13. Harini, Thanks for trying out the recipe. Cake has come out gorgeous. Thanks for the entry too.

     
  14. swapna Says:
  15. Cake looks moist and delicious...its perfect!!

     
  16. Love your cake & it is very soft & moist..

     
  17. torwen Says:
  18. This looks so delicious. I will make it for my friend :)
    she loves dates but believes (!) she doesn't like vegan cakes. How this will proof her wrong *haha*

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. Thank you for sending this lovely entry to my event, dear, but could you please add the logo on your website and link it back to my entry?
    As per event rules, if you haven't already followed my blog, please sign up so your recipe can be considered for the award. Thank you dear!

     
  21. Padmaja Says:
  22. Nice Blog Harini. Cake looks yummy and very tempting, I'll try this!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory