Like a very typical South Indian vegetarian household, Dal is cooked almost everyday in my kitchen too. Just to break the monotony, I like to bring variety to the dals and have tried many varieties of dals in different combinations. But this combination of drumstick is something I never tried. 

The original recipe asks for yam / Kanda. But I am not a great fan of yam. The authors suggest cluster beans or any other vegetable as a substitute for yam. So I have substituted it with Butternut squash.  In fact I thought I should exempt myself from this month's challenge. But after going through many posts and mouth watering pictures of this dal from my fellow bloggers, I couldn't stop myself from making it for lunch today. It surely is a very delectable dal. I am glad I listened to my tongue :) A big thank you to  Srivalli for choosing this delicious Gujrati Dal for ICC this month. She selected this authentic gujarati dal from the cookbook Sukham Ayu co authored by Jigyasa giri and Pratibha jain.

Gujarati Dal

Ingredients - 

Toor Dal  1/2 cup 
Yam 6-8 pieces (I used butternut squash instead)
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Tamarind pulp  2 tbsp
Jaggery  2 tsp (I used raw sugar instead)
Dry dates 4 halved (I used fresh pitted dates)
Drumsticks  about 8-10 ( 2 inch pieces)
Peanuts/Groundnuts  2-3 tbsp
Green Chillies  2 slit
Ginger 1 inch piece ( finely chopped)
Dhania-Jeera Powder- 2 tsp
For Garnish  - Garam Masala  1/4 tsp and few Coriander Leaves 
Salt as per taste
Seasoning (Ghee/Oil  2 tsp, Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp, Fenugreek Seeds 1/4 tsp, Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp, Dry Red Chillies  2, Hing 1/4 tsp, few Curry Leaves )

Gujarati Dal

Method Of Preparation - 

Pressure cook toor dal with turmeric, drumstick and peanuts in 2 cups of water. Make sure the dal is soft. Churn the dal well after the cooker cools down.

In a small heated sauce pan, prepare the seasoning by adding ghee (I added oil) and the rest of the seasoning ingredients. After the mustard seeds splutter, add the cooked dal and add all the ingredients except the garnish ingredients.

Add 1 cup of water and allow the dal to simmer for 5-10 mins. The more the dal simmers the better the taste. (I guess it is the case with any dal/sambar!)

Gujrati Dal

Add garam masala and coriander leaves for garnishing.

It tastes best when served hot.

Preparation Time 40 min 
Serves 3 Adults
Posted by Harini on Tuesday, February 15, 2011

12 comments

  1. Suma Gandlur Says:
  2. Intentionally I made it sweeter for theeya pulusu feel since it had dates, kanda and peanuts. I thought my husband would not touch it but he also loved it.
    The last image is very bright. Chala rojulanundi okati adagalani anukutunnanu. Why don't you publish the next bigger size images? Any technical problems or is it a personal preference. Just asking because the image pops out if it is bigger.:)

     
  3. Suma Gandlur Says:
  4. Naaku better anipisthundhi. What do you think?

     
  5. divya Says:
  6. Omg, dal makes me hungry..Soo tempting!

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. wow.delicious dal.yumelicious

     
  9. Dal looks so smooth and delicious. Excellent color as well.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  10. Srivalli Says:
  11. Picture looks perfect!..glad you joined us..

     
  12. veena Says:
  13. i wonder why i am not able to see the image. Anyway, i am sure it must have tasted awesome!!!!!!thanks for all the comments on my blog. will be visiting you:-)

     
  14. Raji Says:
  15. Harini daal is looking great.. it must have tasted different with addition of squash.

     
  16. Just now saw this dal in Valli & Gayathri cookspot page and you too made me drool........Sure going to try this Gals

     
  17. Priya Suresh Says:
  18. Dal looks absolutely comforting and thick, love it so much..

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. Dal looks so yumm Harini we enjoyed it hope you too.

     
  21. Padmajha Says:
  22. Yes, that was a lovely choice for ICC and ur clicks are so tempting :)

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory