If you are a fan of Oriental Cuisine, you are in for a delicious treat !! Pineapple Fried Rice was in my to-do list for quite some time and I had collected various versions from all over the internet. I just couldn't make up my mind which method to follow. The final nudge came from S who said he had tasted the authentic Pineapple Fried Rice at a Thai restaurant and that he would love to have it if I prepared with Basmati Rice. 


I loosely followed the recipe from here


The verdict was a very encouraging one. S certifies that it is almost like the one he ate at the Thai restaurant except that the quantity of soy sauce needs to be upped. In fact he added a little soy sauce to his share and was very happy. But personally I don't like the overpowering taste of soy sauce(This was just about right for me). So feel free to adjust the soy sauce as per taste.


Initially I was a little apprehensive about the addition of pineapple as I thought it would result in a sweetish rice which might not be very much liked. But the taste of curry powder compensated and it turned out to be a pleasurable experience! The kids liked it too!!



Lets take a peek at some other Marathoners..



Pineapple Fried Rice


Ingredients - 


Basmati Rice 2 cups
Pineapple Chunks 1 1/2 - 2 cups
Carrot Grated 1 cup
Edamame 1/4 cup (Could use peas too)
Cabbage Shredded 1/2 cup
Green Chillies 1-2 (Optional)
Garlic 3 cloves
Onion Chopped 1/2 cup
Raisins 1/4 cup
Cashews 1/4 cup
Soy Sauce 3 Tbsp (or as per taste)
Curry Powder 1 Tbsp (or as per taste)
Spring onions (I didn't use) and Coriander leaves for Garnish


Pineapple Fried Rice


Method Of Preparation - 


Soak Basmati Rice (actually I love sona masoori better, but S insisted on Basmati) for about 20 min and cook. (I cooked in a rice cooker).
The original recipe calls for leftover refrigerated rice. Since I didn't have leftover rice, I cooked fresh and refrigerated for 20 min.


Meanwhile grate or finely chop carrot and cabbage. Thinly slice onions. Finely chop/grate garlic cloves. Keep them aside.


In a small bowl, mix the curry powder and soy sauce and keep aside.


Place a wok/kadai on medium-high heat and pour oil. After the oil is hot, add onions and garlic and saute for a minute or two. (If using green chillies now is the time to add them. 


Next to add are the carrot, cashew and cabbage and saute until they are just about cooked but still have a crunch. It takes about 5 min or so.


Check on the rice to see if there are any lumps, if there are apply a little oil and mix with your fingers.


Transfer the rice, pineapple chunks and raisins and mix well till the rice is slightly fried. 


Add the soy sauce+curry powder mixture and adjust the salt. Fry a couple more minutes and remove from heat.
Pineapple Fried Rice


Garnish chopped coriander leaves and / or spring onions and enjoy!


Traditionally it is served in a carved pineapple but I chose to serve it in my regular serving bowls!


Preparation Time 20 min (Excl rice prep)
Serves 4 Adults

23 comments

  1. Padmajha Says:
  2. That looks so inviting.I too never prepared this as I was worried if it would taste sweet as my folks love spicy stuffs.Now I am encouraged to try .Bookmarked your recipe

     
  3. Champa Says:
  4. Did you change your settings, I can see your entire post now without clicking on continue to read. Looks good. and addition of soy sauce must've made this very fragrant.

     
  5. TASTY AND FLAVOUREDRICE

     
  6. Jayashree Says:
  7. Love the different colours in this rice. I have tasted it in a Thai restaurant, served in a carved pineapple, like you've mentioned and absolutely loved it.

     
  8. nice and colourful rice.

     
  9. Unknown Says:
  10. fruit in a fried rice.that is so delicious and innovative too

     
  11. Umm Mymoonah Says:
  12. This must be full of flavours, looks very yummy. I too like pineapple in rice

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. Wow nice recipe sounds spicy,tangy and sweet mouthwatering.

     
  15. Suma Gandlur Says:
  16. Looks very colorful in that yellow background.

     
  17. Mina Joshi Says:
  18. I like rice and pineapple so this recipe is a winner for me.

     
  19. Shanavi Says:
  20. yummy rice and very flavourful too

     
  21. Usha Says:
  22. Nice picture and very inviting!

     
  23. Yummy looking recipe . Pineapple with rice looks to be a great recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  24. Unknown Says:
  25. we love pineapple fried rice..always order that at thai place...looks yummy!
    Smitha
    http://smithasspicyflavors.blogspot.com/

     
  26. veena Says:
  27. yummm, i love pineapple rice!!!

     
  28. Srivalli Says:
  29. looks good..used to love eating this..

     
  30. Unknown Says:
  31. yumm..love this with brown rice too..

     
  32. Priya Suresh Says:
  33. Yumm, am yet to try pineapple rice, looks soooo inviting..

     
  34. Pari Vasisht Says:
  35. I am also quite apprehensive in using fruits in food, but ur version sounds inviting.


    FOODELICIOUS

     
  36. Satya Says:
  37. What a lovely looking rice...

     
  38. Pavani Says:
  39. My husband is also a fan of Thai style pineapple rice, but I've never tried it at home, thinking that it'll be too sweet for my taste. Will try your version. Thanks for sharing.

     
  40. Lovely Recipe. It is in my list of to try dishes

     
  41. Unknown Says:
  42. I am drooling over it. I love pineapples, so this is surely a treat for me :)

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory