Pulihora or Tamarind Rice is a very traditional rice item made for many auspicious occasions specially in Andhra Pradesh (my home state in India). My MIL is very well known in family and friend circles for the Pulihora she prepares (I bet most of you feel the same about elders at home!). She tells me that she used to prepare about 1-2 kgs of pulihora for some special occasions and by the end of the day it would be gone! The neighbors, friends, sons and daughters and their friends (would pitch in to have a taste :))..the list is endless. To this day, her trademark pulihora is just the same!! Can anyone beat that?? I have adopted her recipe ever since my wedding and I make pretty good too but can't beat the master, so to say! 

Since it is a fav at home, I usually make the base Tamarind sauce and refrigerate it. And it comes handy when I am hard pressed for time and need to whip up something for the lunch boxes or for impromptu lunch/dinners.

Don't forget to check what our 26 other fellow bloggers have in their platter today..


Here I shall divulge the family secret of this incredible but simple Tamarind Rice!!

Pulihora

Ingredients - 

For the sauce - 

Thick Tamarind Juice 1 cup 
(I pressure cook/microwave the tamarind with 1 cup of water and upon cooling I make a fine paste, sieve and discard the pith)
Roasted Sesame seed Powder 3 Tbsp
Green Chillies 8-9 (or as per taste)
Coconut powder 2 tsp
Roasted Fenugreek Powder 1/8 tsp
Sugar / Jaggery 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Salt as per taste
Hing / Asafoetida 1/8 tsp
Oil 1 tsp (or more if preferred)

Seasoning (Oil 2 Tbsp, Chana Dal 1 tsp, Urad Dal 1 tsp, Peanuts handful, Jeera 1/2 tsp, Mustard seeds 1 tsp, Curry leaves few, Hing couple pinches, Red Chillies 2, Turmeric 1/4 tsp)

Rice 2 cups (Usually made with Sona Masoori Rice)

Method Of Preparation - 

For the Sauce - 

In a heavy bottomed pan, add 1 tsp oil and fry the vertically slit green chillies. 

After they are slightly brown, add the rest of the ingredients listed under 'For the sauce'.

Let the sauce thicken and when it starts splashing all over, remove from heat and let it cool.

Store in an air tight container and refrigerate. 
(It helps to have the sauce ready in advance)

Pulihora

To make Pulihora - 

Cook Rice as per preference and spread it in a wide mixing bowl/dish. (My MIL adds a little cumin seeds and curry leaves first and transfers the hot rice and mixes a little oil and turmeric. She mixes it so that the turmeric is spread evenly. )

Take about 2 Tbsp of the pulihora sauce and mix it evenly  in the rice and adjust taste accordingly.
(The color of the pulihora might vary depending on the age of the tamarind used)
In a heated small sauce pan, add oil and the rest of the seasoning and after the peanuts are fried well and the dals are browned evenly, pour it on to the rice and mix evenly with a spatula.

Garnish with finely chopped coriander leaves (Optional) and serve!! Usually tamarind rice tastes better after a few hours of preparing it!


Preparation Time 30 min (If the sauce is ready)
Serves 3-4 Adults
Posted by Harini on Thursday, February 10, 2011

25 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. Tickling my tongue - Now I am really going to get off the computer and get some food - all these blog hopping to the marathoners has left me famished!!!!

     
  3. Champa Says:
  4. Rice looks very good.

     
  5. Unknown Says:
  6. Wow Thats a traditional recipe and my all time favorite.I can live full day on it looks mouthwatering. nice post.

     
  7. Shanavi Says:
  8. Lovely rice dear..

     
  9. yummy rice.....

     
  10. delicious and yummy and my favourite too.

     
  11. Unknown Says:
  12. pulihora also has been my fav from childhood...other than making at home..I also love the ones they serve in temples....can't beat those...especially in Tirupathi...i really love pulihora...
    nice recipe dear!

     
  13. Pavani Says:
  14. Chinthapandu pulihora is my all time favorite. Love the addition of coconut & sesame in the gujju. Will try ur version next time.

     
  15. Priya Suresh Says:
  16. Never say no to this beautiful rice,my fav anytime..

     
  17. Give me 3 times a day ...I am ready to eat this ...My all time fav. one...

     
  18. Unknown Says:
  19. Tangy puliyohara rice....my all time favourite

     
  20. TANGY RICE ALWAYS LIKE TO EAT

     
  21. Suma Gandlur Says:
  22. We felt the same way with our ammamma's pulihora. I have never eaten tastier than her's. My SIL adds sesame seed powder and a little sambhar powder and that tastes awesome too though I could not recreate it inspite of noting down the ingredients.
    I usually add a little water to the tamarind amd microwave it for 3 -5 minutes depending upon the quantity and it would be ready for the paste making process. :)

     
  23. Srivalli Says:
  24. All time favorite!..looks great!

     
  25. Mina Joshi Says:
  26. Wow what a perfect dish for lunch or dinner.

     
  27. Unknown Says:
  28. best thing about this rice is the taste and flavour enhances with time..

     
  29. Tangy rice dear...

     
  30. aipi Says:
  31. U r making me drool here..awesome looking :)

    US Masala

     
  32. Usha Says:
  33. Youe pulihora reminds me of festivals.. delicious!

     
  34. Tamarind Rice looks to be yummy and colorful. Great recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  35. Lovely Recipe. I will try this version

     
  36. My all time favourite rice. Looks so yummy..

     
  37. Chitra Says:
  38. U made me feel hungry. Tempting pics ;)

     
  39. Padmajha Says:
  40. My favorite!Would love to have this with potato curry..

     
  41. Buy any karam powders and podis for side to idly, dosa or any other break fast item online. Delivering Home Made Masalas, Pulihora / Puliyodharai / Puliyogare / Pulikachal paste of South India to the world. FREE SHIPPING, NO PRESERVATIVES, HOME MADE, Tasty & Best in Quality.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory