I prepared Quinoa Halwa for sankranthi more so for naivedyam (offering to God). We were totally saturated with so many sweets in the season that I found it really hard to digest yet another sweet! So I added a little less sugar than mentioned in this recipe. And I always like to add mixed nuts in my sweets as they lend a certain 'richness' to the sweet. A note for people who don't like the nutty taste of quinoa. Dry roast the quinoa and then boil. Thats a better way to enjoy this wonder grain! I realized that this was lying in my drafts for too long not getting the attention it deserves!!


Quinoa Halwa


Ingredients -


Quinoa 1/2 cup
Sugar 1/2 cup
Mixed Dry Nuts Powder 1-2 tsp (the more the better!!)
Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
Ghee/Clarified Butter 1 tsp
A few fried Cashews and Raisins  for garnish


Method Of Preparation - 


Cook quinoa as desired either on stovetop or a pressure cooker. (I added 1 cup of water to 1/2 cup quinoa and pressure cooked)


In a heated sauce pan, add sugar and water and let it boil for a couple of min.


Add the cooked quinoa, dried nuts powder and ghee and mix well. Stir until desired consistency is achieved.


Stir in the cardamom powder and remove from heat.


Garnish with fried cashews and raisins and serve!!


Sending this Halwa to Umm Mymoonah's 'Anyone Can Cook' .





Preparation Time 35 min 
Makes 1 1/2 cups
Posted by Harini on Friday, February 4, 2011

12 comments

  1. Shanavi Says:
  2. Quinoa halwa..that sounds yummy yum

     
  3. Pari Vasisht Says:
  4. Nice version with the wonder grain.

    FOODELICIOUS

     
  5. Preety Says:
  6. great new way to use quiona..love it

     
  7. aipi Says:
  8. This is innovation..loved the recipe!

    US Masala

     
  9. lovely !

     
  10. What a halwa. It looks very healthy and tasty!

     
  11. very delicious

     
  12. Unknown Says:
  13. I so want to make it and have it on my list. Thanks dear for this delicious recipe.

     
  14. Umm Mymoonah Says:
  15. Wow! Halwa with a hole grain, looks very tempting and yummy. Thank you for linking with Any One can Cook :)

     
  16. Priya Suresh Says:
  17. Wow wat a healthy halwa, prefect for my sweet tooth..

     
  18. Healthy halwa & new for me......

     
  19. Foodfan Says:
  20. I am looking forward to trying this recipe, do you wash the quinoa before browning? I ask because sometimes it is mentioned that quinoa can have a bitter coating. Thanks

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory