An Absolute Winner with Kids!! It wasn't mess-free to make Mac n Cheese at home but surely was stress-free at meal time!! The mess was mainly grating the sharp cheddar cheese and preparation of the white sauce! But who cares about the mess when the kids eat happily with no cribs and complaints, right? 


Anyway, I first realized that my kids might become fans of this American Favorite a few days back when we ate out to celebrate our 9 yr old's achievement in Kumon. Even my almost 4 yr old who is a messy and fussy eater like most kids her age, polished off her share of Mac n Cheese to my utter delight! Thats when I was inspired to prepare this at home. I had only the farfalle variety of pasta at home and my kids had no problem with the kind of pasta used. 


I personally felt that the sauce was a little too much as compared to the quantity of pasta. But the kids had no problem. I got loads of compliments from my family that in the end, it was all worth after all!! Surprisingly, the process was so simple though I came across lots of variations. I opted for a very simple and basic variety by mixing and matching various sources on the web. 


Home Made Mac n Cheese


Ingredients -


Pasta 1 cup (I used Farfalle or bow tie pasta but traditionally elbow macaroni is used)
Sharp Cheddar Cheese Grated 1 cup
Milk 1 cup (I used 2% milk)
Butter 2 Tbsp
Maida / All purpose flour 2 Tbsp
Salt and pepper to taste


Note - I have come across many recipes which use mustard sauce, paprika etc.. Feel free to add any other spices to suit your taste.


Method Of Preparation - 


Cook pasta al dente as per instructions on the pack and drain. (Add a little salt while cooking)


While the pasta is cooking, make the arrangements for the white sauce.


In a bowl, add 1/2 cup of milk and gradually add maida while stirring so there are no lumps formed.


In a heated sauce pan, melt butter and slowly pour the white sauce and dump in the grated cheese and keep mixing until a glossy sauce is formed. It takes abut 3-4 min. 


Remove from fire and add the drained pasta and mix well. Garnish with pepper as desired.


Home Made Mac n Cheese


Serve hot/warm and see the smiles on their faces!!


This is a very fitting entry to Srivalli's "Kid's Delight - Restaurant Recreation" happening at Versatile Kitchen.
Kid\

Preparation Time 25 min 
Makes 2 generous kids meals
Posted by Harini on Saturday, March 12, 2011

15 comments

  1. divya Says:
  2. looks sooo creamy and delicious...

     
  3. delicious macaroni cheese looks wonderful

     
  4. Raji Says:
  5. Mac n cheese would definitely bring smile to any kid's face..these look so creamy and yummy.

     
  6. delicious Mac n cheese.....looks really yummyy...you have such a wonderful blog....happy to follow you ! do visit my blog sometimes and let me know your valuable comments :-)

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. That platter looks absolutely awesome :)

     
  9. Charitha Says:
  10. Harini you have very nice blog with good pics..here is messg for you..

    I have some awards for you.do visit Event awards page on my blog and collect them...

     
  11. it's not only easy and simple but very delicious also.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  12. looks creamy and delicious dear.....

     
  13. looks very rich and creamy and yum.

     
  14. Ila Says:
  15. woow looks cresmy cheesy and yummy :)

     
  16. Usha Says:
  17. Looks creamy and delicious!

     
  18. Very delicious and yummy!

     
  19. Luvly n cheesy pasta...tempted on c'ing the pics.

     
  20. Suma Gandlur Says:
  21. A basic recipe will do for the kids. I don't thick mustard and paprika would be liked by them. I don't know how and when it started. It is my daughter's the most favorite dish. Infact, this is what she got for her lunchbox today, on demand ofcourse.:)

     
  22. Never knew home-made mac&cheese is this easy...Yummy...
    Bookmarking..

    http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com
    Herbs & Flowers in my Platter - Coriander/Cilantro

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory