Papaya Curry was made almost for the first time in my kitchen the other day. The recipe was shared by Jaya (read : Jaya's MIL) and the thought of adding the ingredients which she told me made my mouth water. So I had to try it out. I put aside all my apprehensions that papaya generates lot of heat etc etc..and the next veggie-shopping trip surely saw me get home a green papaya. S helped me peel, remove the seeds and the white center portion and also grated it for me. He likes to take the credit for the delicious curry :) on a rare occasion that he helps me in the kitchen!! The taste of this curry somehow reminded me of Mamidikaya Pulihora, as the spices are almost the same. The tangy flavor of tamarind gave this curry a unique flavor and sure is a winner, hands down!!


Papaya Curry


Ingredients - 


Papaya grated 5-6 cups (medium size papaya)
Green Chillies Chopped 2-3 
Tamarind Juice 2 Tbsp
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Seasoning (Oil 2 tsp, Chana Dal 1 tsp, Urad Dal 1 tsp, Jeera 1/2 tsp, Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, Dry Red Chillies 1-2, Curry Leaves few)


Method Of Preparation - 


Boil Papaya (al dente) in the microwave or stove top. Squeeze out the extra water and set aside.
Papaya Curry




In a wok/kadai, add oil and the rest of the seasoning. After mustard seeds pop and the dals are brown, add the papaya, turmeric and green chillies.


Stir well and squeeze in the tamarind juice and mix in salt as per taste. 


Remove from fire and serve it warm with rice/roti.


Preparation Time 25 min
Serves 4 Adults
Posted by Harini on Wednesday, March 2, 2011

9 comments

  1. divya Says:
  2. Papaya curry looks truly irresistible and yumm!

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. Amazing Color...i like this

     
  5. Priya Suresh Says:
  6. Papaya curry looks simply fabulous..

     
  7. Simply superb curry..

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. Papaya curry looks so flaky and delish! I recently made papaya spring rolls and we loved it!
    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/announcing-second-guest-event.html
    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/2011/02/announcing-second-guest-event.html

     
  10. Papaya is very healthy especially for detox and for shiny skin and other health benefits.your curry makes me drool.It looks very awesome and delicious.

     
  11. Umm Mymoonah Says:
  12. Yummy looking curry with crystal clear picture.

     
  13. Archana Says:
  14. Looks very tasty. Thanks for sharing I was on a lookout for this recipe.

     
  15. Suma Gandlur Says:
  16. i know papaya curry tastes delicious. We had a papaya tree in our backyard and so papaya curry was a regular one in my mother's kitchen. She goes with regular tadka and coconut while I prepare sagu with it.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory