Thapila Dosa (Thapila=Vessel, Dosa=Crepes) is originally a traditional recipe from my maternal side. But I have prepared it in an unconventional method, so to say, following my mom's footsteps. I have many memories associated with this particular variety of dosa. Therefore this is very close to my heart and I was so excited to be making this almost for the first time in my life! 


As per my mom, traditionally this is prepared like a 1 inch thick uthappam in a brass pan specially made for this. In the early 1970's when my mom first learnt the basics of baking, she had purchased an Aluminium Bundt Pan with a lid (used on the stove top) and used to bake cakes. It was my mom who started baking this particular dosa as against the conventional method. I remember my mom pouring lot of oil resulting in crispy crusts. Needless to say she was a witness to battles at home for the crispy crust!! 


Last summer when I visited India, I asked my mom if she could pass on that 'pan' to me. Unfortunately, owing to 'empty nest syndrome', she has donated it to some flood victims. Pch..I was so disappointed that I couldn't get even a picture of that pan! Anyway since it resembles our bundt pan, I gladly bought one and baked a few cakes too. 


After so many nostalgic memories, I finally baked this dosa or a savory cake and devoured every piece with tears in my eyes!! I felt so happy and I surely shared it virtually with my mom..Please feel free to take a piece of my memories from here...


Thapila Dosa

Thapila Dosa



Ingredients - 


Rice 2 cups (I used the Sona Masoori variety)
Chana Dal 2 Tbsp
Urad Dal 2 Tbsp
Jeera 1 Tbsp
Buttermilk thin 3-4 cups
Salt as per taste
Onions Finely Chopped 1 cup
Green Chillies 2-3 (or as per taste)
Ginger Grated 1 tsp
Curry leaves torn into bits few
Coriander leaves finely chopped 3Tbsp
Oil 1-2 Tbsp


Method Of Preparation - 


Make a coarse powder of rice, chana dal, urad dal and jeera. (I had to sieve it multiple times to get the right sized grain).


Thapila Dosa


Soak the coarsely powdered rice mixture in thin buttermilk overnite or atleast 6-7 hrs keeping in a warm place. This is to aid fermentation.


Add the chopped onions, grated ginger, salt, curry leaves and coriander leaves to the soaked batter. The batter should be a little thick barely pour-able, so to say. (Like Uthappam batter).


Method 1 - 
Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare a bundt pan by greasing it with oil.


Pour the batter in the bundt pan and top it off with a tablespoon of oil.


Bake it for 30-35 min or until the sides brown and the top looks done. Let it cool in the pan for a few min and then slowly run a knife through the edges and loosen the cake and invert it onto a cooling rack. 
Thapila Dosa


Slice and enjoy with a choice of chutney.


Preparation Time (Grinding - 10 min, Soaking - 6-7 hrs) Baking Time - 35 min 
Serves 3 - 4 Adults


Method 2 - 


Heat a thick bottomed pan which is at least 1 inch deep and drizzle oil as needed.


Pour batter to 3/4 - 1 inch height and cover.


Reduce the heat to low-medium and let it cook for about 10-15 min and make sure it doesn't get burnt. Once the bottom is nice and brown, flip it and let it cook for another minute or two.


Remove from fire and serve it hot with chutney.


Frankly I haven't prepared it on the stove top. These are just instructions given by my mom. So I cannot accurately give the details of time and servings. So go by your instinct :)

Bundling up my memories and sending them to Gayatri's "Walking down the memory Lane".

11 comments

  1. divya Says:
  2. wat a fantastic recipe...sounds delicious..

     
  3. Pari Vasisht Says:
  4. That sounds an interesting one, never heard of it. Good job!!
    FOODELICIOUS

     
  5. i haven't heard of this dish. looks really cute...

     
  6. Never seen such type of dosa. Looks wonderful.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  7. Wow! Great recipe. Thanks a lot for sending..

     
  8. Raji Says:
  9. Awesome recipe...very interesting and looks wonderful.

     
  10. Priya Suresh Says:
  11. Beautiful rice cake, looks wonderful and yummy..

     
  12. looks delicious flavourful

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. we make this, but in kadai!...love the shape :)
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy Flavors

     
  15. This is absolutely a new recipe and thanks for sharing.

     
  16. Suma Gandlur Says:
  17. I have heard that my MIL used to prepare thappela dosa but haven't seen personally. Can we go with a banali as we do for dibba rottes? I am planning to buy a non stick one solely for dibba rottes. When I think about the amount of oil that goes into it, I get an heart attack. :) I think I can try these when I get that. BTW, Biyyapu rava vadochcha deeniki?

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory