Boondi preparation was never in my cookbooks neither have I seen my mom prepare it at home. After relocating to this part of the world, I have seen my friends make it and learnt it from them. In fact the boondi ladle I have right now has been passed on by a dear friend. A few years back, I did make boondi laddu couple times but haven't got to making it again to post it here. This time around I saw the video by Vahchef and picked up a tip or two which proved very useful in making boondi. My kids love boondi and who can resist Boondi Raitha (recipe to follow soon!)? So go ahead, acquire the boondi ladle and try this out!


Boondi


Ingredients - 


Besan / Senaga Pindi 2 cups
Oil 1 tsp
Water 2 cups
3-4 cups of Oil for deep frying


Boondi Ladle - Preferable (See picture)


Boondi Ladle


Method Of Preparation - 


Sift the chickpea flour/besan/senaga pindi so there are no lumps.


Gradually add water to make it a paste. Blend well so there are no lumps in the paste. To this paste gradually add water to make a suitable batter. I observed that the flour I used needed almost 2 cups of water. That is besan:water was in the ratio 1:1 .


Another tip is to add a teaspoon of oil to the batter.


In a wok/kadai, add oil and put it on medium heat. It also helps if the wok/kadai/sauce pan is flat bottomed and wide too.


To test whether the batter is of the right consistency, using the tail of a spoon, gently put a drop of batter in the hot oil. If the resultant boondi floats on the top immediately and is round in shape and feels light, we have the right consistency. Otherwise add a teaspoon of water at a time while testing, to get the right consistency. 


Pour ladle full of batter in the boondi ladle, and gently rub the batter with another ladle while holding the boondi ladle over the kadai. Observe that the tiny batter droplets float on the hot oil forming tiny boondis. 


Let the boondi get the golden brown hue. Drain the boondi onto kitchen paper towels. Continue with the rest of the batter.


Boondi


Upon cooling, store the boondi in an airtight container lined with paper towels to soak in the extra oil.


Preparation Time 45 min 
Makes 4 cups of boondi

Posted by Harini on Wednesday, April 13, 2011

11 comments

  1. divya Says:
  2. Ooooo....looks yummy and perfect!!

     
  3. looks so fresh & crispy..Lovely snapp

     
  4. Pavani Says:
  5. Wow.. so crunchy and yummy.. I've never tried making boondi at home and you made it sound so simple. Will try once I get my hands on that beautiful boondhi ladle.

     
  6. Sarah Says:
  7. love it! Never realised it was so easy to make at home! Thanks for the tips!

     
  8. Boondi looks delicious. Great preparation.


    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  9. Indian Khana Says:
  10. You got it so perfect ..yum

     
  11. Suma Gandlur Says:
  12. Looks so perfect. I have to try this too.
    Spicy boondi was a regular one at my ammamma's place. Got not one but two ladles 3 years ago to try spicy one and they are lying somewhere. Even forgot to ask my mother to show me when she was visiting. Now you are tempting me to try.

     
  13. Priya Suresh Says:
  14. If i make them,i wont stop myself munching them, crunchy boondi looks great..

     
  15. Simplyfood Says:
  16. Lovely boondi looks delicious.

     
  17. Unknown Says:
  18. they have come out perfect!...my kids love it!
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy Flavors

     
  19. hemalata Says:
  20. my children likes boondi very much.Nice presentation.Yummy and crunchy recipe.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory