I always see the vegetable broth cartons in the supermarket shelves and get tempted to buy those. But it somehow didn't feel right to me to buy it ready made when we could make it at home. With the convenience of a pressure cooker, preparing the broth is just a breeze! This sure adds lot of flavor to the soups or stews. Since we are beginning to enjoy soups for dinner these days, I am sure this broth would come in handy. I am sure this is the right thing to do specifically on Earth Day :) [I wish everyday be treated as Earth Day]

Recipe Source - here

Homemade Vegetable broth

Ingredients

Yellow Onions, sliced 1/2 cup 
Carrots, Peeled and Sliced 1 cup
Celery, sliced 1/2 cup
Garlic, sliced 1 Tbsp
Potato, cut into 1-inch chunks 1 cup
Bay Leaves 2
Peppercorns 1 tsp

Parsley / Coriander Leaves, Chopped 3 Tbsp [I used coriander leaves]
Water 8 cups
Method Of Preparation -
Cook all the ingredients in a pressure cooker or bring to a boil over high heat in a stock pot. (I cooked in the pressure cooker.)


If cooking over the stove, simmer and cook for 2 hours.


Strain and discard solids. [I chose not to discard, so mashed the vegetables and made extra broth/paste to use up in soup]


Cool and refrigerate for up to 3 days. (I froze the broth for further use.)


Preparation Time - 30-40 min
Makes 8-10 cups
Posted by Harini on Friday, April 22, 2011

6 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. That is such useful and excellent post.

     
  3. Archana Says:
  4. Extremely useful post.Thanks for sharing.

     
  5. thank u for sharing this post...

     
  6. Priya Suresh Says:
  7. I do the same way my vegetable broth too, i completely quit the broth cartons since a long, making broth at home are quite cheap also best and needless to say that we know wat we have put together to prepare them..

     
  8. aipi Says:
  9. Nice post!

    US Masala

     
  10. Unknown Says:
  11. yummy stock! And just a image search of sun berries comes up with a hundred pics of them - all copyrighted so I can just give a link! Pasting my search here...
    http://www.google.com/search?q=sun%20berries&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1280&bih=679

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory