We are all great fans of the ordinary Vermicelli Upma. So the other day when I saw 'Ragi Vermicelli' (Finger Millet Vermicelli) on the grocer's shelves, it piqued my interest. I got it home and was wondering if that was a wise decision. So it sat in the pantry waiting for its turn and one fine morning, when I ran out of breakfast options, I gathered my guts and gave it a shot. Looking at the cooking instructions on the pack, I realized that it was ragi idiyappam. 


The traditional rice idiyappam was my favorite in my college days. But I haven't since eaten idiyappam. So many memories attached to idiyappam in general. Anyway, though the color was not visually appealing (the biggest disadvantage of ragi!), the taste and texture were extraordinary and surely a little earthy(ragi-ish??). The other day, when I was blog hopping, I came across a 'go-to' recipe for making idiyappam from scratch. I am sure I am going to give it a shot some time in the near future. Any tips on this will surely be appreciated :)


Ragi Vermicelli Upma


Ingredients -

Ragi Vermicelli - about 2 cups (used a 180 gms pkt)
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup (chopped carrots, beans, peas, corn)
Turmeric - a pinch
Onion - 1 medium (finely chopped about 1/2 cup)
Peanut-coconut masala - 1/4 cup (see the recipe here)
Salt to taste
Seasoning (oil, chana dal, urad dal, mustard seeds, dried red chilli, curry leaves)
Lemon juice - 2 tsp or as needed

Method of Preparation - 

Cook the Ragi vermicelli according to the instructions on the packet. [Soaked it in water for 3 minutes and steamed it for 5-7 min)

Don't remove from the steamer until required.  [It dries up pretty quickly.]

In a skillet on a medium flame, heat some oil and add the seasoning. 

After the mustard seeds start crackling, add finely chopped onions and saute them to a golden color.
Ragi Vermicelli Upma

Boil the mixed veggies separately and add it to the sauteed onions.

Put in turmeric and salt as per taste. Add the peanut-coconut masala and mix well.

Add the drained ragi semiya and mix well for a minute. 

Switch off the flame and squeeze in the lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot or cover it with a lid till it is ready to be served.


Sending this off to Srivalli's Breakfast Mela.


Also to Dr Sameena Pratap's Ragi Event 

Serves 2-3 Adults
Preparation Time 18-20 min
Posted by Harini on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

14 comments

  1. Suma Gandlur Says:
  2. My ragi upma is lying in drafts for the past one year or so since I am not happy with the picture. :)Have you tried kheer with it? I love the kheer version very much.

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. wow, that is a great one. Never saw this product "ragi vermicili" in the market here. Looks great :)

     
  5. Nice healthy upma. This reminds me of my mom...She makes it often...

     
  6. Priya Suresh Says:
  7. Wat a nutritious upma..truly delicious..

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. Hey I have been looking for this for a long time!...I had this when I visited in India few years back....loved it so much that we bought a few packets with us then! later never found it here!!.. I was thinking to make dough with ragi flour and make semiya with murruku press and steaming, then using like semiya?...do u think it would work?
    BTW I am so tempting looking at the pic...wishing I could have it now!:))
    Smitha
    Smitha's Spicy
    Flavors

     
  10. Upma looks simply delicious and inviting. Also ragi has made it nutritious. Great recipe.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  11. The upma is very healthy...Nice dish for breakfast...

     
  12. Mélange Says:
  13. Ragi in Upma ! My God,I think this will the best breakfast..Bowl of goodness..Love it.Bookmarked.

     
  14. very healthy option.....I do not complain abt eating ragi now which was not d same when I was a kid..:)

     
  15. Sarah Says:
  16. What a great idea! We love vermicelli upma .. and using ragi vermicelli is simply fabulous!

     
  17. Srivalli Says:
  18. Looks fantastic..thanks for sending it..

     
  19. Suparna Says:
  20. healthy vermicelli upma. I like ur peanut coconut masala addition to it, i'll this this one, thanks

     
  21. Archana Says:
  22. Beautiful healthy breakfast!

     
  23. hemalata Says:
  24. Looks yummy and delicious vermicelli upma.Wonderful preparation

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory