Here are the details of my fellow marathoners....


When I decided that Cucumbers would be the ingredient I would be cooking with for this week of the Blogging Marathon, I was talking to my mom to get her ideas. It was in that conversation that Amma suggested that I should try these Cucumber Vadas and they surely were a great snack for my kids. 


Since I was making these for my kids, I totally omitted green chillies. To my pleasant surprise they finished all the vadas leaving just a couple of them for us to taste! So if you have to make vadas without onions, there is another option with these cucumbers. Here is how I made them for Day 3 of Blogging Marathon 6.


Kheera Vada


Ingredients -


Chana Dal / Split chick peas 1/2 cup
Urad Dal 1/4 cup
Kheera / Cucumber , Peeled and Grated* 1/4 cup
Ginger 1 inch + Green Chillies 1-2 (Or as needed)
Salt as needed
Coriander leaves few
Hing / Asafoetida 1/4 tsp
Jeera/Cumin seeds 1 tsp
Oil for deep frying


* Medium grate the cucumber and add 1/2 tsp of salt and set aside for 10 min. Squeeze out the water which would ooze out and add it to the chana dal mixture only when you are ready to fry the vadas.


Method Of Preparation -


Soak Chana Dal and Urad Dal in adequate water for 2-3 hrs.


Drain the dals and coarsely grind them along with ginger, salt (take care while adding salt as the cucumbers would ahve some salt too) and green chillies without adding water. Add in the chopped coriander leaves, jeera, and hing too.


Meanwhile heat oil for deep frying in a wok/kadai.


Squeeze out the excess water from the grated cucumbers and add to the Dal mixture. 


Mix well, check for the taste and the batter is ready ! The batter should be thick and not runny.


Take lime sized batter and pat them into small discs with your fingers and gently slide them into the hot oil. Ensure that the oil is hot enough.


Continue frying these vadas in batches until the batter is done.


Serve hot with ketchup and enjoy!



Sending this to 'Proteinicious' event by Sobha.
Sending this to Aqua's 'My Legume Love Affair' started by Susan


Preparation Time 40 min
Makes 12-14 vadas (depending on the size - I made 1 1/2 inch small)

16 comments

  1. Usha Says:
  2. Nice vadas.. I never even thought of using kheera in vada.

     
  3. Mélange Says:
  4. A very healthy,distinct flavoured fritter there..Amazing that you made it with a veggie which I never thought can convert so..Cheers !

     
  5. Unknown Says:
  6. Very intrstin recipe Looks crisp...

     
  7. divya Says:
  8. looks delicious and yummy...

     
  9. Looks so crispy and nice.

     
  10. Vardhini Says:
  11. Oh my ... vadai with cucumber .. never thought about it before.


    Vardhini
    Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
    Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli

     
  12. Kalyani Says:
  13. Totally new to me !! yummy vadas ! Must try :)

    Cheers
    Kalyani
    Event: One Pot Meals

     
  14. Aarthi Says:
  15. yummy looking vadas

     
  16. Jayashree Says:
  17. I will try this out....

     
  18. Priya Suresh Says:
  19. Thats so unique and crispy vadas,looks delicious and prefect evening snacks too..

     
  20. Suma Gandlur Says:
  21. Very nice. I have been noticing during this marathon that whenever I leave a comment here, it keeps asking me to enter my google id & password. It's a never ending issue. With your kheera pappu, I think I tried about 6 times that day and gave up. Yesterday also, same thing happened.

     
  22. harini-jaya Says:
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  
  24. Srivalli Says:
  25. Never thought of cucumber as vada..what an idea..looks great..

     
  26. Unknown Says:
  27. wow, that is so very new and lovely :)

     
  28. what a lovely twist to the vadas

     
  29. Degchi Says:
  30. I make them with besan batter but your looks more crisp. Nice to see Indian version for zucchini fritters.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory