I was always apprehensive about using Putnalu (Putthana/Roasted Chana dal) in my cooking as it is extremely gas producing. But I gradually came to appreciate the taste of pappulu and also tips to alleviate flatulence. Pappula podi happens to be one of my MIL's trademark podi and S has a lot of memories attached to it. It can be used as an accompaniment for Idli, Dosa etc. [Though that never happens here!] We like it with steaming hot rice and a dollop of ghee. I tend to use this as part of gravies or sprinkle in any dry curries too..


Putnala Podi


Ingredients - 


Putnalu/Pappulu/Roasted Gram  1 cup
Red chillies 5-6 (as per taste)
Coconut powder 3/4 cup
Coriander seeds (Dhania) 1 tsp
Garlic 2-3 Pods (Optional)
Salt as per taste


Method Of Preparation - 


Dry Roast Putnalu until they brown a little. This is optional. I roasted it as I don't like the smell of putnalu as is :).

Also roast Coconut powder, Coriander seeds and Red chillies separately till they change color.

Upon cooling, grind all of them with salt to a coarse powder.

Store in an air tight container.

Tastes very good with Hot rice and ghee. (Even idli and dosa!)



Sending this to 'Proteinicious' event by Sobha.
Sending this to Aqua's 'My Legume Love Affair' started by Susan


Makes approx. 2 cups


Preparation Time  15 min

Posted by Harini on Wednesday, June 8, 2011

8 comments

  1. Prathibha Says:
  2. We just love this wid hot rice n ghee...my fav combo...

     
  3. Chitra Says:
  4. love podis like this will try it today

     
  5. Aarthi Says:
  6. my grandma used to make this..yummy

     
  7. PAV's Says:
  8. I love this type of powders with rice. I will definitely try it soon. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

     
  9. Sobha Shyam Says:
  10. Podi looks great..will love to have with rice or dosa..

     
  11. Priya Says:
  12. Love this powder,i'll happily have this with some rice topped with ghee..yumm!

     
  13. That is a new kind of podi, bookmarked, looks superb !!!

     
  14. divya Says:
  15. yummy podi..

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Followers

Member Of

Top Food Blogs
Town Square Dr.5z5 Open Feed Directory Blog Blog Blog Directory