I was always apprehensive about using Putnalu (Putthana/Roasted Chana dal) in my cooking as it is extremely gas producing. But I gradually came to appreciate the taste of pappulu and also tips to alleviate flatulence.

Pappula podi happens to be one of my MIL's trademark podi and S has a lot of memories attached to it. It can be used as an accompaniment for Idli, Dosa etc. [Though that never happens here!] 

We like it with steaming hot rice and a dollop of ghee. I tend to use this as part of gravies or sprinkle in any dry curries too.


Putnala Podi

Ingredients - 

Putnalu/Pappulu/Roasted Gram  1 cup
Red chillies 5-6 (as per taste)
Coconut powder 3/4 cup
Coriander seeds (Dhania) 1 tsp
Garlic 2-3 Pods (Optional)
Salt as per taste

Method Of Preparation - 

Dry Roast Putnalu until they brown a little. This is optional. I roasted it as I don't like the smell of putnalu as is :).

Also roast Coconut powder, Coriander seeds and Red chillies separately till they change color.

Upon cooling, grind all of them with salt to a coarse powder.

Store in an air tight container.

Tastes very good with Hot rice and ghee. (Even idli and dosa!)

Makes approx. 2 cups
Preparation Time  15 min

Posted by Harini on Wednesday, June 8, 2011

8 comments

  1. We just love this wid hot rice n ghee...my fav combo...

     
  2. Chitra Says:
  3. love podis like this will try it today

     
  4. Aarthi Says:
  5. my grandma used to make this..yummy

     
  6. PAV's Says:
  7. I love this type of powders with rice. I will definitely try it soon. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us.

     
  8. Sobha Shyam Says:
  9. Podi looks great..will love to have with rice or dosa..

     
  10. Priya Suresh Says:
  11. Love this powder,i'll happily have this with some rice topped with ghee..yumm!

     
  12. Unknown Says:
  13. That is a new kind of podi, bookmarked, looks superb !!!

     
  14. divya Says:
  15. yummy podi..

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory