Do you all crave for warm desserts once in a while? I certainly do. On one such occasion, I made this pudding and it vanished even before I realized! Ever since I have been looking for an occasion to bake this pudding. So when there were a few bread slices which were about to go bad and some strawberries begging to be finished up, I thought there is a strong force which wants me to bake now :) Also I thought this would fit in perfectly with Srivalli's  Blogging Marathon theme 'Butterless Bakes for Diet' for this second week.


With kids on tow, I thought I would engage them in this activity. Needless to say it was an enjoyable experience for the kids. The kids did the chopping, measuring, mixing and licking [the empty bowl and ladle :)] 


Bread Pudding


Recipe source - here
Ingredients -

Bread Slices 6
Milk 2 cup 
Strawberries 1 cup
Custard Powder 3-4 Tbsp
Brown Sugar 2 Tbsp
Sugar 1/2 cup (I used brown sugar here)
Walnuts Chopped 1/2 cup


Method Of Preparation - 


Preheat the oven to 350 F. Brush a pan (8" round pan recommended but I used 8 X 6 X 2, 6 cup rectangle pan) with butter/oil and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.


To Prepare Custard Sauce - 
In a small bowl, add 1/4 cup of milk and blend in the custard powder.


Boil the remaining milk with 1/2 cup of sugar. After the milk comes to a boil, add the milk with custard powder blended in. 


Mix well so there are no lumps. Once heated through, remove from fire. The consistency of the resultant custard sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.


Bread Pudding
before baking


Assembling the pudding - 
Toast the bread slices and optionally apply butter to them. (I skipped buttering).


Dice the bread slices into bite sized cubes.


Wash, hull and quarter the strawberries into bite size pieces.


Chop walnuts into desired size.


In a big mixing bowl, mix in the strawberries, bread cubes and walnuts. 


Pour in the prepared custard sauce coating all the bread cubes evenly.



Pour the above mixture into the prepared baking dish. 


Sprinkle with the remaining brown sugar and cover the dish with aluminium foil. After about 20 minutes, rotate the dish and remove the foil. 


Bread Pudding


Bake until the top is crisp and toasted, about 20 minutes or more.


Allow the pudding to cool for about 15 min and serve warm. 


Note - 
*Make sure it is served warm or even hot. We thought that upon cooling, the pudding lost some texture and taste too! Reheating to the rescue!!!
*Alter the bread slices depending on your preference of the pudding consistency. 
* The next time I would reduce the bread slices to 5. 


Also peep into my friends's spaces to check what they are cooking in this edition of BM #7.


Sending this pudding to Pari's 'Only Baked' guest hosted by me.




Preparation Time 15 min + Baking Time 40 min
Serves 4-6

18 comments

  1. Suma Gandlur Says:
  2. Bagundhi Harini. I will try it next time when I buy berries.

     
  3. Simplyfood Says:
  4. Very innovative twist to the bread pudding.

     
  5. Srivalli Says:
  6. Harini, when I thought of Butterless bakes, I was basically thinking of those recipes where butter is replaced with something healthy, yet we get to make it and eat it . Well I guess I wasn't clear in my thoughts..heheh..but as you said portion control is very important. Nevertheless your pudding looks awesome..thanks for the idea..I am looking for your other creations..

     
  7. Jane Says:
  8. Looks like a good recipe to try with my kids like you've said.

     
  9. innovative bread pudding with custard looks delicious

     
  10. Unknown Says:
  11. Looks delicious.....

     
  12. Unknown Says:
  13. bread pudding with custard is new....yumm with strawberries

     
  14. Super delicious bread pudding... interesting too..

     
  15. Padmajha Says:
  16. Truly divine!!!

     
  17. divya Says:
  18. Wow! this looks absolutely delicious.

     
  19. jayasree Says:
  20. Baked pudding sounds very delicious. Since the strawberries are longer in season here, I guess I shall try with some other fruit.

     
  21. wow so yumm i will try it once i get these strawberries r any other berries..

     
  22. Unknown Says:
  23. wow, that looks super delicious :)

     
  24. I love bread pudding in any flavor. Love that you have added strawberries!

     
  25. Nupur Says:
  26. Nice twist with Strawberries.. Love the colour :)

     
  27. Pavani Says:
  28. Bread pudding looks just Perfect..

     
  29. Pudding looks so nice..

     
  30. Rujuta Says:
  31. Lovely recipe and click..
    New one for me..
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory