Early this week we celebrated our little one's birthday. A quiet celebration it was, but to her liking. All the details were worked out by her. Mind you, she just turned 4. She wanted cupcakes with chocolate topping and rainbow colored sprinkles and some extra on hers. Then she wanted small candles (only 4 of them) on the cup cakes. And to top it all, she refused to wear any dress which I chose. She would say, it was too pink, or it was too flowery or it was too soft and it took me an easy 30 min to convince her to wear something nice. Oof..Girls are not an easy lot to handle if they decide to throw tantrums at the 'right' time !!


The sweetest part was she wanted to bake the cup cakes herself. I was so amused by her thought that I let her do all the work and me acting the sous chef. All the while she screamed with joy, "Amma  made me the big chef and Amma is the little chef!!"


She was maaaad at me because I didn't let her handle the chocolate topping. So I compensated by letting her decorate them with sprinkles and she was all smiles again!!  Such sweet memories I wanted to record for her to read when she grows up..can you blame me ??


Since I had the freedom to choose what cupcakes to bake, I convinced her that we should bake orange cup cakes (she is a big fan of oranges!). I had these cup cakes in mind from the time I read the recipe in Isa Chandra Moskowitz's 'Vegan cupcakes Take Over The World'. Please note that I didn't prepare the vegan version, but by simply substituting milk with soy milk or rice milk, it can be easily made vegan.


Eggless Orange Cup cake


Ingredients - 


All Purpose Flour / Maida 1 1/3 cups
Baking Powder 1 tsp
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Orange Zest (grated orange peel) 1 Tbsp
Wet Ingredients - 
Canola Oil 1/3 cup
Sugar 3/4 cup
Milk 3/4 cup
Orange Juice , freshly squeezed 1/2 cup
Vanilla Extract 1 tsp


For Rich Chocolate Ganache Topping - 
Milk 1/4 cup
Semisweet chocolate chips 1/2 cup
Maple syrup 2 Tbsp


Bring the milk to a gentle boil and remove from fire. Add the chocolate chips and maple syrup. Mix well until the chocolate melts and it is smooth. Set aside at room temperature till ready to use.


Note - I used only 2 tablespoons of the ganache topping. So prepare the topping accordingly.


Eggless Orange Cup cake
She knew her sister doesn't like chocolate topping, so this is for the sister!!


Method Of Preparation - 


Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin pan with cup cake liners.


In a large mixing bowl, add oil, sugar, milk, juice, vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
Tip - Add 1 Tbsp of flour to emulsify the liquid ingredients)


Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt in a different bowl.


Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients in three batches, mixing well after each addition to get a smooth batter. Gently fold in the orange zest.


Fill each cupcake liner 2/3rds of the way. Bake for about 20 min until the tops spring back when touched.


Cool completely if you choose to decorate.


For the first time I decorated the cup cakes by spreading the chocolate ganache topping on each cup cake and sprinkling some colorful rainbow sprinkles. Refrigerate until the chocolate sets properly.


Eggless Orange Cup cake
"This is for me, Amma", screams the jubilant birthday girl!


Serve and watch the kids' faces light up!!


Sending these cupcakes and my memories to Pari's 'Only Baked' hosted by me.




Also peep into my friends's spaces to check what they are cooking in this edition of BM #7.


Preparation Time 15 min + Baking Time 20 min + Cooling Time 60 min + Decorating Time 5 min 
Makes 12 medium size cup cakes

20 comments

  1. Simplyfood Says:
  2. What delectable little cups cakes and so cute that your little one helped to make them too.

     
  3. Unknown Says:
  4. Happy birthday to your princess. So, I hear girls are hard, but then I have 2 boys and oh I wish I had a girl. I still do wish ;)

    The cupcakes look awesome, golden color and nice texture and that chocolate topping is literally the cherry at the top :)

     
  5. Suma Gandlur Says:
  6. Belated wishes to the birthday girl. Tell her that she had made wonderful cupcakes.

     
  7. Vardhini Says:
  8. Cup cakes look fabulous. Nice to know that your daughter had fun making this.

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

     
  9. divya Says:
  10. looks fabulous! Lovely presentation :)

     
  11. Pavani Says:
  12. Orange cupcakes look absolutely delicious.

     
  13. Belated birthday wishes to your daughter. Cupcakes look so moist and yummy. Great preparation.
    Deepa

     
  14. Indian Khana Says:
  15. Looks soft n moist ....yum

     
  16. Archana Says:
  17. belated wished to your little darling! These cup cakes and the sentiments behind it are delightful. It is really sweet that she wanted to bake her own cake. I touched by her not using topping on her sister's cake. Only true love can bring such a sentiment.

     
  18. Archana Says:
  19. Can I send a microwaved cake for this event?

     
  20. Srivalli Says:
  21. Belated birthday wishes to your lil one Harini..I know how 4 yrs olds are, trust me even boys are hard to handle at this age..LOL..:)..so sweet that she wanted to have a quite party and to bake, I am sure she will turn out to be a great chef like her mom..enjoyed those pictures..will surely plan to bake something..

     
  22. Fabulous cupcakes and greetings to the little one...

     
  23. Prema Says:
  24. Pass my Wishes to ur Princess...cute cup cake,very nice...

     
  25. harini-jaya Says:
  26. Thanks a lot for all your wishes. The kids sure had a lot of fun !

    @Archana - Yes microwave bakes are welcome too!

     
  27. soujanya Says:
  28. Fabulous cake...looks very tempting..

     
  29. Kalyani Says:
  30. Belated wishes to your little girl :) She sure has a doting and loving mother !! bookmarked :)

    Kalyani
    New Event: Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
    Ongoing Event : Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – all this July

     
  31. Sobha Shyam Says:
  32. Belated bday wishes to ur lil one :)..so sweet of her to choose and do everything by herself..:)..cupcakes are cute..

     
  33. sairam Says:
  34. Hi I just came across your website its awesome, your cup cakes looks very yummy. I have a question to ask you do you use the cake beater or just beat the mixture with spoon. Can i bake on a baking tray instead cup cakes. My another question is why does cake burns. I have never baked cakes before everytime i try the recipe from the web it does not turn up well either it will burn or either it will sink.
    your advice will be highly appreciated .

    Thanks Hemlata

     
  35. Anonymous Says:
  36. Thanks for the recipe:)...tried it out & it was a big hit!!
    Just wanted to find out if I can try this with lemon juice??

     
  37. Harini R Says:
  38. @Anonymous - Thanks for trying it out and glad that you liked it.

    I have personally not tried substituting orange juice with lemon juice but I feel that the substitution might work. Try it out and let me know how it goes.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory