I was surprised just as you (by the way,were you surprised? ) when I saw the title of the recipe. I had never heard chai (tea) being used as an ingredient to bake a cake. I chanced upon this recipe when I was looking for some fat-free recipes for cakes. When Srivalli announced my selected theme 'Butterless Bakes for Diet' for Blogging Marathon #7, I read it as Fat Free baking :)


I was wondering if there can be any bakes (often loaded with sugar, flour and fat) which can be used while you are dieting. Portion control, portion control and portion control is the way to go, I reminded myself. But then a whole world of fat free baking opened up and then there were some which were not cakes per se, then some savory bakes too. I guess there is no limit to our imagination, is there?


Coming to the cake in question, after we had this for a snack with coffee/tea (I don't like coffee while my better half has a selective liking to some varieties of coffee!) , we liked the combo but found it a tad dry when we tried eating the cake as is. So feel free to substitute some oil/butter in place of apple sauce for a moist feel and indulge. 


Disclaimer - After S had this cake with coffee, he said he would love to have such guilt free cakes with coffee everyday! OMG, where have I landed myself? :) So be prepared for a situation like this and don't blame me (just kidding)!!


Fat Free Vegan Coconut Chai Cake


Recipe Source - here
Ingredients -


Dry Ingredients -  
Rolled Oats 1/3 cup
Wheat Flour 3/4 cup
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Ginger Powder 1/4 tsp (or more if preferred)
Sugar 1/2 cup (I used 2 Tbsp less than 1/2 cup)


Wet Ingredients - 
Tea Decoction - 1/2 cup (cooled to room temperature)
Applesauce 1/2 cup (I used 2 Tbsp less than 1/2 cup)
Apple Cider Vinegar 1/2 Tbsp (Plain Vinegar can be used too)
Vanilla Extract 1/2 tsp
Dry Coconut 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp for topping (I used powdered coconut but grated one would look good)


Method Of Preparation - 


Prepare the tea decoction ahead of time as we need it cooled. [Boil 1/2 cup water with a teaspoon of tea powder or steep a tea bag in hot water for a couple minutes. Strain to get a clear decoction.]


Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease 3 ramekins and keep aside. [I used 1 cup capacity ramekins]


Fat Free Vegan Coconut Chai Cake


In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and set aside.


Mix in the wet ingredients in a different bowl and pour into the dry ingredients and mix until uniformly moistened. Do not over mix.


Pour the batter uniformly in 3 ramekins and sprinkle the remaining coconut on each of them. 


Place them in the middle rack and bake for 27 min.


Let them cool for a few minutes and let the demolition begin!!


Serve it along with tea/coffee.


Also peep into my friends's spaces to check what they are cooking in this edition of BM #7.


Sending these to Pari's 'Only Baked' guest hosted by me.




Preparation Time 10 min + Baking Time 27 min + Cooling Time 10 min 
Makes 3 cakes in 3 ramekins

23 comments

  1. Suma Gandlur Says:
  2. The cake looks wonderful but alas!
    I don't even prefer to smell coffee / tea.

     
  3. Vardhini Says:
  4. Cake looks yummy .. healthy with oats and wheat flour.

    Vardhini
    Event: Fast food not Fat food

     
  5. Love tea.. Have come across tea cakes in a couple of sites.. this one is so guiltfree and awesome!

     
  6. divya Says:
  7. looks Yummy! healthy and tasty cake!

     
  8. Unknown Says:
  9. Superb cake!!!I must look out for apple sauce and start making it

     
  10. Rekha shoban Says:
  11. healthy cake..perfectly baked!

     
  12. purabi naha Says:
  13. Very delicious. Your blog is very organised. Loved the look.

     
  14. Unknown Says:
  15. awesome t time snack dear....and healthy too

     
  16. very different one.Should try it out someday.

     
  17. Kalyani Says:
  18. Filled with goodness, and yet tempting :-) yummy Harini.. Look forward to your treats for the week ahead in BM !

    Cheers
    Kalyani
    New Event: Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
    Ongoing Event : Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – all this July

     
  19. jayasree Says:
  20. A healthy cake. Haven't tried tea in cake. Sounds interesting.

     
  21. Prema Says:
  22. wow delicious cake,loved ur fat free version...

     
  23. hemalata Says:
  24. Yummy and healthy cake,looks so inviting.

     
  25. Well, well well..what do we have here..It certainly caught my fancy. I have bookmarked this! Too tempting, seriously!

     
  26. Can you tell me the ramekin size, dear? Was it 5 oz/4oz?? The reason why I am asking it cause baking time might differ based on the size. Since I am planning on trying this I want to know. Can you update the post with the ramekin specification?? Tx!

     
  27. Pavani Says:
  28. I've heard about green tea/ matcha tea cake, but definitely not regular tea. Sounds yummy and these are fat free too, nice!!

     
  29. Padmajha Says:
  30. Awesome cake Harini.The title was intriguing!Lovely clicks too. Bookmarking this recipe.

     
  31. The cake looks so fluffy..

     
  32. Unknown Says:
  33. This is such a flavorful cake...healthy too

     
  34. Unknown Says:
  35. Yum, chai cake sounds delicious :)

     
  36. Vatsala. Says:
  37. I'm surprised to see the recipe.

    Invitation for a Potluck
    Event - LGSS_Potato

     
  38. Kalyani Says:
  39. Harini - just a question : Whats the substitute for Apple sauce?

     
  40. Rujuta Says:
  41. The cake looks lovely and delicious..and so spongy and moist:)
    Lovely recipe and great clicks..
    First time I heard of chai in a cake..
    Healthy and very interesting recipe with oats too
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory