Yes, you read that right. These are fritters made with the regular apples. I remember having seen these in some blog in my pre-blogging days. I think my first impression when I saw the title was 'must be crazy' or some such phrase and let it pass by. But recently I was reminded of these apple fritters by my cousin, Sowmya. Thanks to her that we could enjoy a different snack and also it could make an appearance here in 'Tamalapaku' :).

When I was running an errand I got a call from my cousin only to tell me about these fritters that she had heard from a friend. She also added that they were supposed to taste great too. So as soon as I reached home and told S about these fritters, he said he was game to try them (When would he say no fried snacks??). And so these happened and vanished all within 35 min :) Imagine how I had to keep them at bay when taking pictures!!

Srivalli's Blogging Marathon #8 - round 2 has begun and as I mentioned in my last post, I would be doing the same two themes 'Cooking with under 5 ingredients' and 'Condiments' alternating them for the next week.
So here is the recipe for Day 1 under the theme 'Cooking with under 5 ingredients' .


Apple Bajji

Ingredients - 

*1. Apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced into wedges 1 medium sized
2. Besan/Chick pea flour/Senagapindi 1 cup (or as needed)
3. Mirchi powder (Chilli Powder) 1/2 tsp (or as per taste)
4. Ajwain/Vaamu coarsely powdered 1/2 tsp (Optional)
5a. Salt as per taste
5b. Oil for deep frying

* The apple could also be just peeled and cored and sliced into thin circles (the bajjis would look like vadas) instead of wedges. I just found this easier and thought there would be more bajjis for the kids to enjoy :)

Apple Bajji

Method Of Preparation - 

Make the Bajji batter (the batter should be slightly thick like Idli batter) with besan, water, vaamu powder, salt and mirchi powder. 

Heat oil in a wok/kadai and when the oil is adequately hot, dip the apple wedges in the batter making sure the batter coats the apple wedge evenly. Gently slide in the oil and fry until golden brown.

Remove the golden brown bajjis onto kitchen paper towels to drain the excess oil.

Repeat until all the wedges are done.

Apple Bajji
Another way to slice the apples !!


If you have missed the previous week of this marathon here they are - 
Under 5 ingredients - 
Beans-Alu Curry 
Low Fat Boorelu ~ Low Fat Sweet Dumplings 
Palak-Moong Dal Curry
 
Buckwheat Chakli ~ Kuttu Pindi Murukku


Condiments - 
Onion Chutney
Beerapeechu-Tomato Pachadi ~ Ridge Gourd Peel-Tomato Chutney
Gongura Pachadi ~ Sorrel Leaves Chutney



Preparation Time 30 min
Serves 3-4
Posted by Harini on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

34 comments

  1. Rajani Says:
  2. Wow! Apple bajji!! What an ingenious idea!

     
  3. Very unique and delicious looking apple fritters. Great preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  4. Happy to join u in blogging marathon...Nice to c apple bajji

     
  5. Priya Suresh Says:
  6. APple fritters looks soo crispy and addictive..

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. That sure looks different, I mean apple in fritter. Did you use the sour green apples or regular red ones?

     
  9. Ramya Says:
  10. this sounds very interesting. Spicy outside and sweet inside...yum..

     
  11. Rinku Naveen Says:
  12. Oh Wow! Never heard of Apple fritters. Sure to try them. Looks really tempting!

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. apple bajji...wow Harini....kids will enjoy it a lot!...wonderful idea!

     
  15. Harini Says:
  16. thanks everyone.
    @Priya - I have used the regular red apples and the flavor was inimitable!!!

     
  17. innovative delicious looks wonderful

     
  18. Lovely idea... bet it tastes great too!!
    http://krithiskitchen.blogspot.com/

     
  19. Suma Gandlur Says:
  20. They look super delicious!

     
  21. Something new and looks delicious

     
  22. divya Says:
  23. innovative delicious looks wonderful

     
  24. Usha Says:
  25. Interesting and am sure it tasted great!

     
  26. Pavani Says:
  27. Very unique fritters with apples. I'm not a fan of apples, may be I'll like the fritters??

     
  28. different...the kids will like it..look interesting.

     
  29. Kalyani Says:
  30. Interesting, delicious and innovative ;-) Would granny smith apples also work Harini or did it go well with the Red Californian variety?

    Cheers
    Kalyani
    New Event: Fasting Foods – Vrat ka Khaana Special
    Event: healthy Lunchbox ideas – Carrots – all this August

     
  31. Unknown Says:
  32. Not a fan of apples.. Would love to give a try this recipe ...

     
  33. jayasree Says:
  34. I make banana fritters. But never thought of apple. Good one.

     
  35. Vardhini Says:
  36. Interesting one with apples .. yummy.

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway.
    Current Event: Herbs and Flowers - Garlic

     
  37. Radhika Says:
  38. I made it differently. Love the taste of it harini.

     
  39. Very innovative and looks nice.

     
  40. Srivalli Says:
  41. Now that sounds really wonderful Harini, can't imagine the sweet apple taste but guess it will be delicious, since we like pazam pori..:)

     
  42. Nice idea..apple bajji sounds yummy n delicious

     
  43. Fritters looks fabulous! I make the sweet version of this. Never tried savory bajji with apple. SHould give it a try!

     
  44. Harini Says:
  45. thanks everyone.
    @Kalyani - I used the regular red apples. But I was wondering how they would taste with granny smith (green tart) apples. Next time that is on my list :)

     
  46. Sushma Says:
  47. very innovative ...

     
  48. Shanavi Says:
  49. never had apple fritters Harini..Very innovative

     
  50. Unknown Says:
  51. Heard of banana bhajji not apple.Looks very yummy!!!!

     
  52. Jane Says:
  53. What a great idea!

     
  54. Hey Harini,
    Now that I have sorted my IE to Chrome issue, let me give my 2 cents worth opinion and ask some million dollar questions :-)
    Btw, do the apple's soften or stay crunchy within, my MIL makes similar thing with bananas but they become very soft which gives a different experience. Love the idea though, who would have thought of apple bhajia before this. Not me.
    ~Pradnya

     
  55. Wow.. looks super cute and perfect.. Bagundi :)
    Indian Cuisine

     
  56. Sounds interesting and innovative

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory