Do you have unexpected guests and scramble to make something nice and impressive to entertain them? Here is a fool-proof and time tested recipe which won't fail you. This 'no cook' burfi recipe has been passed on to me by Amma. She has been making these burfis ever since we were kids (seems like a long time :) ). It feels like a criminal offence to have not tried this burfi in so many years. My apologies to  you, Amma. I have ignored making this burfi in spite of her constant reminders. 


My parents have unannounced /unexpected guests at all odd hours and all of them are treated with the same attention and delicacies. One sweet prepares when she is short of time is this one. I remember days when she would just use roasted gram and a small quantity of cashews and still the result would be just as delicious !! Even today she can whip up a quick snack/lunch/dinner and impress the guests (Why are moms always bestowed with this magical power??) . I was put to test the other day when we had some unexpected guests and I had to prepare something sweet. This recipe came to my rescue for sure!! Here is how you can impress your family and guests too...


Mixed Nut 'No Cook' Burfi


Ingredients - 


Cashews 1/4 cup
Almonds 1/4 cup
Walnuts 1/4 cup
Roasted Gram / Putnalu 1/4 cup
Milk Powder 1 cup (I used the non fat instant dry milk from Walmart)
Powdered Sugar 1 cup
Cardamom Powder 1 tsp
Milk 4-5 Tbsp (or as needed)
Ghee for greasing. [Check for the tips below!]


* The amount of nuts and the variety of nuts can be varied as per preference/availability.


Mixed Nut 'No Cook' Burfi


Method Of Preparation - 


Pulse all the nuts until they are nearly powdered. (I like them slightly coarse) and measure. (I got a little over 1 cup.) 
In a mixing bowl, add the powdered nuts, milk powder, powdered sugar (Again I like the sugar coarsely powdered too) and cardamom powder. Mix them well.


Sprinkle cold milk 1 tablespoon at a time and gently knead the mix into a stiff dough. Take care not to add more milk hastily as it gets runny pretty easily because of the addition of milk powder. 
Tip from Amma - In case it gets runny, don't panic, just add some roasted sooji (Bombay Rava/semolina) and fix it !!


Keep a greased plate ready. I lined a parchment paper to reduce the grease :)


Transfer the stiff dough to the prepared plate. Pat the dough evenly (I placed a parchment paper and used a rolling pin to evenly spread the dough).


Mixed Nut 'No Cook' Burfi


Using a sharp greased knife (I had to grease the knife here!!) , cut into desired shape and refrigerate for about 30 min.
Tip from Amma - Instead of greasing the knife, just freeze the patted dough for 10 min and even an un-greased knife will get you neat pieces without any crumbs or a sticky mess!!


After they are sufficiently cool, separate the pieces and serve. The cooling is helps in retaining the shape of the pieces. Serve cold!


Linking these Burfis to Umm Mymoonah's 'Anyone Can Cook' series, Momchef's 'Indian Mithai Mela', to Srivalli's Kid's Delight - Cooking without Fire for Kids hosted by Kamalika
and t0 Radhika's  Diwali Special ~ Sweets & Savories.


Preparation Time 10 min + cooling time 30 min 
Makes 20 diamond burfis (and some scraps )

21 comments

  1. lovely presentation and tempting burfis.

     
  2. Quicky n Healthy Recipe!!!!

     
  3. burfi looks healthy delicious

     
  4. Suma Gandlur Says:
  5. The burfis look cute in diamond shapes. By now, I have guessed that nuts & milk powder are used very frequently in your kitchen. :)
    Does shaping them into laddus is a faster way instead of cutting them into burfis & refrigerating them?

     
  6. Indian Khana Says:
  7. Looks yum ...I always love this combo ...gud n healthy

     
  8. divya Says:
  9. wow very easy n yummy n ur clicks r awesome

     
  10. Shanavi Says:
  11. I agree with Suma, I've seen quite many posts with milk powder n nuts from this space n I've bookmarked few of those..I like this recipe much, am gonna make it soon

     
  12. harini-jaya Says:
  13. Thanks everyone.
    @ Suma and Shanavi - You guys got it! Moreover Nuts in moderate amounts is healthy and milk powder adds that 'extra' taste to goodies!!

     
  14. Prema Says:
  15. Delicious burfi,luks yum...

     
  16. Very inviting and tasty looking burfis. Wonderfully prepared.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  17. Chitra Says:
  18. perfect burfis....wonderfully done...so easy to do...gr8 pics

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. very healthy and quick and easy bookmarked it dear...


    http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/08/bookmarked-recipes-every-tuesday-event.html

     
  21. veena Says:
  22. wow..i would love to try this recipe with rava...

     
  23. quick n very delicious bookmarked..

     
  24. A healthy and tasty burfi.Ingredients are too good.
    New to ur blog and ur having nice space.

     
  25. Prathima Rao Says:
  26. Super delicious & a handy recipe!!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

     
  27. Kalyani Says:
  28. wow ! sure looks easy n is a lifeline kind of dish :-) Thanks for linking it to my event, Harini :)
    Cheers
    Kalyani
    NEW EVENT : Healthy Lunchbox Ideas – HLI - Carrots
    Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug

     
  29. My mouth is watering right now, looks so delicious!

     
  30. Umm Mymoonah Says:
  31. This is fantastic, I have never seen such a easy and delicious burfi. Bookmarking this, thank you for linking with Any One Can Cook :)

     
  32. Umm Mymoonah Says:
  33. Hello Dear, Your recipe got featured in this week Any One Can Cook, Congratulations! This recipe is really amazing.

     
  34. Unknown Says:
  35. Hi Harini & Jaya, Thank you for sharing a tasty, easy to make and addictive recipe. I was looking for a quick, easy to make recipe without compromising on the taste. This was a hit with the guests but what's more appealing to me is that my 3 year old son liked this so much an thanked me again and again. My guests have asked me for the recipe and I made this again for my husband and my little one. Thank you so much.

    I have modified the recipe slightly to suit the groceries I had at home. I coarsely grinded cashews, almonds and pistas all in more or less equal proportions along with cardamom powder and brown sugar. Slightly added milk and ghee and made laddoos after refrigerating the mixture.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory