Ragi Idiyappam


I have always relied on store bought idiyappam so far when I had the urge of enjoying some. But of late, I have seen some posts from my fellow bloggers which convinced me that making them at home is easy and so here I am beaming with satisfaction of having made them at home.


Contrary to my fears that Ragi Idiyappam wouldn't be accepted by my family owing to the color, my husband and the older one enjoyed every bite of it! Can I ask for more??
Check out another diabetic friendly recipe for day 3 of BM #14.


Ragi Idiyappam


Ingredients - 


Ragi Flour 1/2 cup
Rice Flour 1/2 cup
Salt as needed
Water 1 cup (actually a little less than 1 cup)
Oil to spray on Idli plates


Tools used - Murukku Press and an Idli cooker


Ragi Idiyappam


Method Of Preparation -


In a sauce pan, boil water adding adequate salt. Reduce the heat and add the flours. Mix well stirring vigorously so there are no lumps and remove from fire. Cover and let it rest for 5-10 min.


Grease the murukku press and the idli plates. 


Spoon the ragi dough (I got a very soft dough) into the murukku press using the fine perforated disc. 


Press the dough as strings onto the idli plates.


Steam them for about 15 min. Let it cool for 5 min and remove the plates from the steamer.


Unmould the idiyappam and serve it with the accompaniment of your choice. We enjoyed with Peanut Chutney. But traditionally it is enjoyed with coconut based gravies or kurma.


Check to see what the fellow marathoners are cooking for BM #14.  



Sending this to "HITS ~Fiber Rich Foods" happening at Spicy Treats.

Preparation Time 25 min
Makes 16 idli sized idiyappam
Posted by Harini R on Sunday, March 18, 2012

24 comments

  1. Jayanthi Says:
  2. Absolutely love your pictures and the idiyappam is so tempting and inviting. The peanut chutney must have added zing to this healthy dish.

     
  3. Sangeetha M Says:
  4. this is in my list too now i have to think for another variety recipe :)
    Idiyappam come out perfectly and the pictures are so good!!

     
  5. Shobha Says:
  6. Very nice idiyappams.. even I have never tried making them at home..

     
  7. Kanan Says:
  8. the piccs are so beautiful. Lovely recipe

     
  9. Myvegfare Says:
  10. I love Idiyappams, I have never made them after coming here as I don't have Idiyappam maker this idea looks interesting.., I have to check if I have the correct holed one which I can relay on!! :), looks beautiful..

     
  11. Srivalli Says:
  12. Oh great..making these at home is really wonderful..

     
  13. vidhas Says:
  14. Love this variation, fibre rich idiyappam.

     
  15. Very healthy and delicious recipe.. looks absolutely perfect !!
    Indian Cuisine

     
  16. Rajani Says:
  17. I go for ready made packets :D, never knew its easy to make it at home. looks really good :)

     
  18. Kalyani Says:
  19. love the idea of steaming them in Idli shapes :)


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
    Event : Bake Fest # 5

     
  20. Kalyani Says:
  21. love the idea of steaming them in Idli shapes :)


    Kalyani
    Sizzling Tastebuds
    Event : Holi Fest – Colourful Palette
    Event : Bake Fest # 5

     
  22. veena Says:
  23. Very nice. You make it sound as if it id very simple. I shall try this soon Harini

     
  24. delicious n healthy idiyappam..looks nice

     
  25. Rekha shoban Says:
  26. healthy idiyappam!!

     
  27. grt making these at home looks fab

     
  28. Rasi Says:
  29. Its been on my mind to try this.. they are very tempting.. shall try this ..bookmarked!

    Ongoing Event : I'm The Star

     
  30. Indian Khana Says:
  31. Yum ...wish can have it

     
  32. Pari Vasisht Says:
  33. I had seen these ragi idiyappams in some one's blog and thought, wow, healthy. Yours look perfectly made and are making me crave for them.


    Foodelicious
    MARCH EVENT, ‘Only’-South Indian & Cook Book Giveaway

     
  34. Degchi Says:
  35. Idiyappam looks awesome. I am craving for them now. I used to have them lot at malgudi restaurant in Hyderabad and Bangalore.

     
  36. Aarthi Says:
  37. very healthy idiyappam

     
  38. Padmajha Says:
  39. I love ragi and idiyappam .Your pics are very very tempting...

     
  40. Unknown Says:
  41. Perfect and healthy breakfast nice color.

     
  42. Suma Gandlur Says:
  43. Healthy ones. This is on my list eversince I saw these on Cool Lassie's blog.
    I am loving all your entries in this BM.

     
  44. Nukkadwala Says:
  45. Information is pretty good and impressed me a lot. This article is quite in-depth and gives a good overview of the topic.
    Best Burgers in Gurgaon

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory