I have been trying to make this chutney powder with Flax seed for quite sometime now. I deliberately included sesame seeds to bump up the nutrient value as I wanted my kids to get used to adding this powder to their diet. 

Needless to say I am impressed with this version of chutney powder with the goodness of flaxseed!! More so as my kids liked it :).

So check it out for Day 3 of BM #16 under the theme 'Chutneys and Podis'.

Flaxseed Chutney Powder

Ingredients - 

Flaxseed / Alsi 1/2 cup
Urad dal 1/2 cup
Chana dal 1/2 cup
Sesame Seeds 1/4 cup

Coriander seeds / Dhaniyalu 1 tsp
Cumin seeds / jeera 1 tsp
Red chillies 6-7 (according to taste)
Tamarind / chintapandu table tennis ball size
Dry coconut (powdered or shredded) 1/2 cup
Curry leaves handful (Optional)
Jaggery / Bellam (grated) 2 Tbsp (Optional)
Salt 1 3/4 tsp or as per taste

Seasoning (Oil , mustard seeds and Asafotida/Hing) (Optional)

Method Of Preparation -

Dry roast flax seed on a low flame until they start popping. Remove and set aside to cool.

Dry roast Chana Dal and Urad Dal separately until they are golden brown in color. Set aside to cool. 

Roast the remaining ingredients as well until done and allow them to cool. Make sure the curry leaves are totally dry.

Combine all the roasted ingredients, salt and jaggery and grind them to a desired consistency. I like the podi neither too fine nor too coarse.

Serve with steaming hot rice and ghee or with Idli/Dosa.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#16 .

Preparation Time 15 min
Makes 2 cups 

15 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. ya adding sesame seeds and flax seeds surely bumps up the nutrient value....delicious one!

     
  3. Srivalli Says:
  4. Very healthy one Harini, I have been forcing myself to try out flax seeds, not doing it..hope to do that soon..so many to try!

     
  5. Jayanthi Says:
  6. Lovely ....such an interesting and nutritious podi.

     
  7. divyagcp Says:
  8. Nutritious podi.Nice and flavorful.

    Divya's Culinary Journey
    Showcase- Desserts

     
  9. I've been enjoying your powders so much (totally in love with the peanut coconut one). I've been trying to find more ways to incorporate flax seed into my food - this is perfect!

     
  10. Akila Says:
  11. Mmmmhhhhhh can smell the flavore of the podi

     
  12. Lovely podi.. looks amazing !!
    Indian Cuisine

     
  13. like valli said..even I am forcing myself for flaxseeds, this is good way to get it in the system

     
  14. Priya Suresh Says:
  15. Excellent, wat a flavourful and healthy podi.

     
  16. Anonymous Says:
  17. I only recently came to know of the benefits of flax seeds and have been looking at ways to include it in the diet ever since...thanks for this recipe!

     
  18. Wow!!!such a healthy and flavorful podi,sounds delicious.

     
  19. everytime I think of adding flax seed I dont know why I dont!!...a good motivation...it looks really healthy n good!

     
  20. Healthy n Flavorful Podi!!!

     
  21. Suma Gandlur Says:
  22. I have a big bag of flaxseed meal and so I too keep adding it to most of the things.
    This looks like a combo of karivepaku podi and podi chutney and love that color.

     
  23. A very nutritious chutney powder!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory