Unniappam

This is a traditional recipe from the state of Kerala. I had read about banana paniyarams a while ago and was intrigued. But then I never got to make them. So when I came to know that I have been paired with Roshni of Roshni's Kitchen for this edition of Blog Hop Wednesdays, I was happy to see this recipe at her space and made them right away!

Ingredients - 

Rice Flour 1 cup
All Purpose Flour / Maida 1/4 cup
Banana Puree 1 cup (I big banana)
Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
Salt 1/4 tsp
Jaggery 1/4 cup
Coconut grated 2 Tbsp
Roasted Cashew bits 2 Tbsp
Oil to use in the paniyaram pan (abelskiver or ponganala penam)

Unniappam

Method Of Preparation -

Mix in the flours, salt and cardamom powder. Mix in the coconut and cashew bits.

Dissolve the powdered jaggery in about 1/2 cup of water and strain for impurities.

Pour the jaggery solution into the flour mixture and mix it well adding water as needed to make a thick batter (thicker than pancake batter).

Heat the paniyaram pan and spray oil in all the spots. Pour batter in each of the spots and reduce the flame. 

Let them cook under cover until the sides are golden brown . 

Flip them onto the other side and cook for a couple of minutes.

Remove onto paper towels and continue for the rest of the batter.

Serve them as is. This is typically made as a naivedyam (offering to God).

Check out for a virtual feast here..


This is linked to Sumee's "Bon Vivant #4 - Fruit Recipes" and to Radhika's "Let's Cook # 15  with Fruits".




Preparation Time 30 min
Makes 20

13 comments

  1. Sumee Says:
  2. we call it appe in Konkani.. I love these. Invite u to link them up to my ongoing event

     
  3. Roshni Says:
  4. Harini... love the unniappams. nice presentation... i have not made these for quite some time now. am going to make a batch this weekend.... thanks for trying my recipe.. link this to radhika's cooking with fruits as well :-)

     
  5. Unknown Says:
  6. wow, that looks great, love the color.

     
  7. Usha Says:
  8. Nice presentation!

     
  9. Spicy-Aroma Says:
  10. looks delicious..wonderful presentation!
    Spicy-Aroma

     
  11. Swetha Says:
  12. These are something new for me. They look really good.

     
  13. Priya Suresh Says:
  14. I wont bother to have this super tempting unniappams, loved that beautiful presentation.

     
  15. Shobha Says:
  16. My favourie...

     
  17. Radhika Says:
  18. Superb presentation Harini. Love the spongy texture of these appams and thanks for linking it to the event as well.

    Tickling Palates
    Event : Fruit Recipes

     
  19. My fav recipe.. looks yummy !
    Indian Cuisine

     
  20. Jayanthi Says:
  21. Love it, I make it with wheat flour and can have it anytime. I love your presentation too Harini. Nice one.

     
  22. Vidhya Says:
  23. Unniappam looks so very tempting.

     
  24. Fairy Garden Says:
  25. I always thought making this is complicated, but now I realized it is such simple and great recipe.

    Visit my blog: Hema's Adugemane

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory