Bendakaya Nuvvula Koora

In my search for Calcium rich vegetables I found that Okra also known as Ladies' Fingers or Bhendi figures in the list. Each cup of cooked okra has about 100 mg of Calcium. So I added sesame seeds to the mix to bump up the calcium content and enhance the taste as well. Sesame seeds also are known for their rich nutritional profile which includes calcium. 2 Tbsp of  Sesame seeds has 280 mg of Calcium.
If You missed the couple of posts in this series, here they are..

Day 1 Broccoli Curry
Day 2 Dried Figs Halwa
For Day 3, week 2 of BM #19, here is the recipe..

Ingredients - 

Okra chopped 3-4 cups
Salt as needed
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder as needed
Amchur Powder as needed (optional)
Oil 1 Tbsp
To Grind - 
Sesame Seeds 2 Tbsp
Peanuts handful
Coconut powder 1 Tbsp

Bendakaya Nuvvula Koora

Method Of Preparation -

Microwave the chopped okra (Bhendi) for bout 4-5 minutes without adding any water or covering it. Set aside. (This step is optional. I do this to speed up the process.)

Coarse grind sesame seeds, peanuts and coconut powder. Set aside.  

In a heated kadai/wok add oil and transfer the okra, sprinkle turmeric and stir continuously for about 10- 15 min. 

After the stickiness disappears, sprinkle the sesame-peanut-coconut powder. Also sprinkle salt, amchur powder and red chilli powder. Mix well and remove from heat.

Serve as a side dish with Dal and Rice.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 19. 

Preparation Time 30 min 
Serves 3-4 
Posted by Harini R on Sunday, August 12, 2012

16 comments

  1. Simple and delicious

    Sowmya
    http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/

     
  2. nayana Says:
  3. I really like such simple and tasty dishes

     
  4. Priya Suresh Says:
  5. Love the nutty flavour of sesame in stir fries, lovely dish.

     
  6. Srivalli Says:
  7. Seriously that bowl of bhendi looks so good..wonderful way of boosting the calcium richness..thanks..:)

     
  8. love bhindi..will surely try this version!..looks real good.

     
  9. Pavani Says:
  10. Bendakaya is one my favorite veggies, but don't use it as often as I would like to since it's a little difficult to get good quality okra here in US.
    Curry with sesame seeds looks delicious. Will definitely try this combo next time I get my hands on some okra.

     
  11. Roshni Says:
  12. that is an intesting combination. never tried before

     
  13. preeti garg Says:
  14. I love bhindi.. LOok fab

    ONGOING EVENT- "JASHN-E-AZAADI"
    Preeti's Kitchen Life
    Preeti's Kitchen Menu

     
  15. Simple and interesting combination.. it is new to me (for Okra) I do carrot with sesame seeds

    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

     
  16. Myvegfare Says:
  17. My favourite Bhendi recipe.., looks really yummy..

     
  18. this is interesting...never heard of this combination....lovely

     
  19. sushma Says:
  20. I just love it

     
  21. one of my favorite veggies - I can have this anytime

     
  22. Rajani Says:
  23. I didnt know about the calcium content in Vendakka, but it is an all time favorite at home.

     
  24. Archana Says:
  25. Love the addition of sesame seeds.
    I am hosting WTML All through August’12. Do send me your entries

     
  26. I made this today following your recipe - so quick and easy Absolutely delicious too...I love it!!!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory