Dried Figs Halwa

A few months back one of my friends asked me if I had ever tasted Fig Halwa. I had not and so I had promised her that I would make it sometime and let her know of it. So finally I got a chance to make this halwa. Among the fruits, 1 cup of dried figs (uncooked) have about 300 mg of Calcium.  These figs are also noted for their high Iron content.

This halwa was a little sticky but good. I think the lack of any thickening agents and very little sugar might be the reason. (please don't be tempted to add more sugar as the figs are naturally very sweet.) I know of some people who don't appreciate figs because of the tiny seeds in them. Since the figs were pureed, the seeds didn't bother me at all.

For Day 2 of BM # 19, here is a very nutritious fudge. 

Ingredients - 

Dried Figs chopped 1 cup
Almond Milk (Regular milk is fine too) 1 cup
Sugar 2 Tbsp
Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
Grated Coconut 1 tsp (Optional)
Ghee 2 tsp
Chopped nuts to garnish

Method Of Preparation -

Boil milk and soak the chopped figs in the hot milk for about 30 min.

Make a puree of the soaked figs and set aside.

In a non stick wok/kadai add 2 tsp of ghee and transfer the pureed figs. 

Stir in sugar and coconut (if using) and continuously stir until it comes together as a single mass. It took me about 20 min.

Remove from fire and spread the halwa on to a parchment paper lined plate.

Garnish with chopped nuts and cut into desired shape.

Refrigerate before serving.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 19.

Preparation Time 25 min + Soaking Time 30 min
Makes 8 pieces
Posted by Harini R on Saturday, August 11, 2012

18 comments

  1. Woow this looks healthy and heavenly..soft and pretty! Thanks for the recipe:)

     
  2. So healthy halwa
    Great-secret-of-life.blogspot.com

     
  3. divyagcp Says:
  4. Tempting and delicious dessert with health benefits..

     
  5. Looks very yummy... Droooling here

    Sowmya
    http://nivedhanams.blogspot.in/

     
  6. Raksha Says:
  7. hey I shud try this once. It looks simple and awesome.

     
  8. preeti garg Says:
  9. Awesome Fudge... LOOk too tasty..

     
  10. Srivalli Says:
  11. I love the colour Harini, I am yet to make this halwa...your pictures are really tempting me..

     
  12. this looks like a fabulous recipe, would love to try it soon

     
  13. a Royal Treat!!! Feel like grabbing straight from the pic!!!

     
  14. Mouthwatering Halwa.
    Deepa

     
  15. healthy and delicious halwa.

     
  16. delicious...rush you entries for fast food event noodles

     
  17. Pavani Says:
  18. Healthy & nutritious halwa.. Looks yummy.

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. something so healthy that is so delicious ! Love the pics! :)

     
  21. Priya Suresh Says:
  22. Even i never tasted anjeer as halwa, such an inviting and super tempting halwa.Love to have some.

     
  23. okay I make these too..but its a different version..check out Nutty Fig Roll...this recipe too looks great.

     
  24. these look so delicious...what a nice treat!!!

     
  25. Rajani Says:
  26. These look great, but you are right, I am among those who don't like figs because of the seeds :D. This recipe almost makes me forget how much I hate figs!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory