Annam Podi ~ Mixed Lentil Powder

Childhood summers in grandparent's place = amazing food + ripe mangoes + fun time with cousins, aunts and uncles. Therefore some of my childhood memories are definitely entwined with food. 

We used to visit our maternal grandparent's place mostly during summers and used to spend close to 90-100 days. Our kiddo gang was about 8-10 and we used to have loads of fun. I now cherish those memories and always urge my kids to have fun and save those memories for the future!

One of the mouth watering items is this Annam Podi combined with Rasam Rice. It used to be a typical combo for dinner. 

It looks like I was forever postponing to make this at home because I was skeptical to get horse gram :). I got this recipe from amma almost a decade back and it finds a place here only now. Needless to say, it always had a place in my memories!!
Check out this humble podi for Day 2 Week 4 of BM #27.

Ingredients - 

Toor Dal / Kandi Pappu 1/2 cup
Moong Dal / Pesara Pappu 1/2 cup
Horse Gram / Ulavalu 1/4 cup
Chana Dal / Senaga Pappu 1 Tbsp
Urad Dal / Minappappu 1 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds 1 tsp
Whole Red Chilies 2-3 (or as needed)
Salt 1 tsp (or as needed)


Annam Podi ~ Mixed Lentil Powder
Rasam Rice with Annam Podi in the background

Method Of Preparation -

Roast all the ingredients (of course except salt :) ) separately until they are golden brown and aromatic.

Let them cool and grind them into a semi coarse powder.

Store in an air tight container and serve it with steaming hot rice and ghee.

Our favorite combo is with Tomato Rasam and Rice.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#27.

Preparation Time 15 min 
Makes approx 1 1/2 cups

13 comments

  1. Rajani S Says:
  2. I have some horse gram at home now, will give this a try. How do you combine this with ras am ? Do you mix this with rice and then pour ras am on top?

     
  3. Lovely name.......Annapodi(Rice powder i mean to be used with)....loved your recipe

     
  4. Suma Gandlur Says:
  5. I always keep a jar of this as this is one of my favorite podis. I too find simple dishes like these are more comforting than the fancy ones.

     
  6. Unknown Says:
  7. Very useful and flavorful podi.


    Cuisine Delights
    "My Monthly Event - Spotlight: Show Your Best Creation "

     
  8. Priya Suresh Says:
  9. Even i do spend almost my vacation at grandma's place too, makes me nostalgic. Annam podi looks wonderful and love this kind of spice powder.

     
  10. divya Says:
  11. looks sooo flavorful podi...

     
  12. The 25th meet , introduced me to home podis..and I am addicted..love rice topped with podi powder and ghee...my family gets shocked:))...would love to try this one too..

     
  13. Srivalli Says:
  14. I love this podi..though we usually don't add horsegram..very delicious with ghee and rice!

     
  15. Pavani Says:
  16. That's such a flavorful podi and healthy too. I haven't used horsegram yet, will look for it in the grocery store next time.

     
  17. preeti garg Says:
  18. Awesome recipe

     
  19. sujitha Says:
  20. Flavourful podi....

     
  21. veena Says:
  22. never made podi with horsegram. Shall try this too

     
  23. Archana Says:
  24. Need to get horse gram in my family diet. Thanks this one will find its way in all sorts of dals (I have to mask them before they are liked then place them on the table) :) So this is something that gets bookmarked

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory