Ragi Buttermilk

Here is a calcium rich drink which cools down body heat and is a fortifying drink on a hot summer day. This is the recipe I learnt from my MIL.

Growing up, I was never exposed to ragi in any form. Only in the later years my mom started using ragi in her kitchen. But apparently my MIL has been making this buttermilk since ages. Couple summers earlier, I tasted it back home and I made this a few times since.

My friend shared a different version of where the ragi flour is cooked and then mixed in buttermilk. My MIL says since the ragi flour is already sprouted and roasted, it need not be cooked.

This is my version for Day 6 Week 3 of BM #27.

Ingredients - 

*Sprouted Ragi Flour 1 tsp
Water 1/2 cup
Buttermilk 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste (Optional)
Lime/Lemon Juice to taste

* Soak whole ragi over night. Wash and wrap in a muslin cloth and let them sprout. Roast the sprouted ragi until they are totally dry. Grind into a fine powder. Store in an air tight container in dry place (preferably in the refrigerator).

[I used the sprouted ragi flour which amma sent.]
I understand that sprouted ragi flour is commercially available in some places.


Ragi Buttermilk

Method Of Preparation -

Add salt, pepper and sprouted ragi flour to buttermilk and whisk well.

Squeeze in some lime/lemon juice as needed and enjoy on a hot summer day.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#27.

Sending this to Srivalli's Kid's Delight series hosted by Pavani at Cooks Hideout.

Preparation Time 20 min
Makes 1 cup
Posted by Harini R on Sunday, April 21, 2013

18 comments

  1. Sunanda Says:
  2. This combination sounds new to me.. but looks very healthy and refreshing.. U have a nice blog..

    Sunandas Kitchen

     
  3. nayana Says:
  4. what a healthy and cooling buttermilk, loved the idea....

     
  5. Wow...this is interesting

     
  6. Thats such a refreshing drink! Looks very good.

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. Sprouted ragi flour sounds like some task :) But I love the idea of it. Interesting twist to the butter milk.

     
  9. Archana Says:
  10. Looks yum. I just used ragi in thalipeeth and cakes occasionally but now since i have heard so much i am trying out a whole new set of ragi recipes. Thanks

     
  11. Priya Suresh Says:
  12. Omg,nutritious and highly inviting ragi buttermilk, cant wait to make some.

     
  13. Chitra Says:
  14. Healthy drink. Thnx for sharing !

     
  15. divya Says:
  16. drooling out here... :)

     
  17. sujitha Says:
  18. Healthy drink...

     
  19. Unknown Says:
  20. Very healthy drink for summer.

     
  21. Srivalli Says:
  22. Very nice and so healthy Harini..When athamma used to make, I always wanted my share..:)

     
  23. Rajani S Says:
  24. Totally new combination for me..healthy ad delicious!

     
  25. Pavani Says:
  26. What a healthy & nutritious drink.

     
  27. something I have never heard of..looks wonderful.

     
  28. Manju Says:
  29. Super booster for summer. Breakfast

     
  30. Suma Gandlur Says:
  31. A perfect coolant.
    It is good with milk too though I prefer the laddus with jaggery and fresh coconut.

    I usually get it from Bangalore but found it here in St. Louis and had brought some bags. :)

     
  32. veena Says:
  33. This seems so easy harini. There is no cooking involved...I think this is best for this summer

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory