Falafel ~ The Healthier Way

Falafel is a classic Middle Eastern Street Food. Each of these countries Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, Egypt has a special way of making it with their choice of ingredients. 

Recently we sampled Falafel at our local Middle Eastern Store and the kids took an instant liking to them. I had heard so many raving reviews about these but never thought to make them at home. 

Upon the insistence of the kids, I googled and found so many recipes which were very easy to make. Ultimately I picked the ingredients suitable to my pantry and our palates and prepared these.

My older one loved to have them in burgers and so did my husband. The little one was happy to munch them as is!

I had to struggle with this letter as I had planned for something else. But the pictures were so bad that I had to think of something else under the same category. Thank God for little mercies :). There we have F for Falafel under 'International Cuisine'.


Falafel ~ The Healthier Way

Ingredients - 

Garbanzo Beans / Kabuli Chana 1 cup
Onion, chopped 1 cup
Parsley, chopped 1 Tbsp (I used dried parsley)
Cilantro/Coriander leaves, chopped 1 Tbsp
Garlic 2-3 Cloves
Salt as needed
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder / Cayenne Pepper as needed
Flour 1-2 Tbsp or as needed
Oil 4-5 Tbsp to Shallow Fry


Falafel ~ The Healthier Way
Falafel in a burger with hummus
Method Of Preparation -

Soak Garbanzo beans for 6-8 hrs. Wash and drain.

In a food processor, add the soaked and drained beans, onions, garlic, parsley, cilantro, salt and cumin powder.

Without adding water, blend to a coarse paste.

Add flour to the mixture, mix, cover and refrigerate for an hour.


Remove the bean mixture from the refrigerator and mix in more flour if needed.

Take 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture and pat them into any shape desired. I made them into oblong shaped patties. 

In a heated griddle / tawa add about 2-3 tablespoons of oil and arrange these patties on the hot griddle.
Traditionally, falafel are deep fried in hot oil but I chose the healthier method. These patties can also be baked at 400 °F until they are done.

Let all of them cook until they are brown and crispy. Flip on the other side and cook the underside as well.

Remove onto paper towels to drain excess oil.

Continue for the rest of the mixture.

Serve them on a bed of lettuce-cucumber-tomato with Hummus on the side or make Falafel burgers or fill these in a pita pocket and enjoy.



Logo courtesy : Preeti

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 32

Preparation Time 40 min
Makes 18-20 patties
Posted by Harini R on Saturday, September 7, 2013

21 comments

  1. Unknown Says:
  2. such an guilt free falafel looks super yummy and healthy dear :) tempting me !!

     
  3. Harini this is exactly how I make the falafel. .but fried..I like the idea of baking them.

     
  4. Srivalli Says:
  5. That's a great idea to bake..I also wanted to bake, however since this was the first time I was making, I wanted to taste how it tastes..yours look so inviting as well..

     
  6. Great idea of baked falafal ! Looks inviting too...

     
  7. never thought of baked falafel. Great idea and your look perfect.

     
  8. Suma Gandlur Says:
  9. They look great Harini. I am trying to get an authentic version where flour is not needed to bind and couldn't get hold of a perfect recipe as yet.

     
  10. Unknown Says:
  11. This surely is a nice falafel recipe and that too a baked one. Very healthy. Thanks for sharing this one :)

     
  12. Priya Suresh Says:
  13. Wat a guilt free falafel, thats definitely my kind of dish..

     
  14. preeti garg Says:
  15. Love this, look so perfect

     
  16. baking is sucha better alternative to tfrying them

     
  17. Unknown Says:
  18. wow so healthy and guilt free... bookmarking it.. will surely try!!

    Sowmya

     
  19. The falafel in the burger looks fabulous...

     
  20. Unknown Says:
  21. They look healthy & guilt free.. Love to have one..

     
  22. Padmajha Says:
  23. What a healthy falafel! Love the burger pic...

     
  24. baking can be a great option....but i think once a while it will be good to indulge, even otherwise it is a healthy option

     
  25. Pavani Says:
  26. Falafel is probably one of my favorite fast food. NYC has the best falafel joints.. YYours look crispy and delicious.

     
  27. Such a lovely way to eat this gulit free! This is the new favorite way for making this lovely dish!

     
  28. veena Says:
  29. Lovely idea to bake them .Shall try this soon

     
  30. rajani Says:
  31. Its a great idea to bake these! You can eat more this way ;-P

     
  32. Archana Says:
  33. I made these yesterday but I used bread crumbs instead of flour and shallow fried them too. I like your method of adding flour. Will do so next time.

     
  34. Loved that you pan fried instead of deep frying. I'd also love to try the oven method, although I assume stove -top will be faster.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory