Drumstick Sambar From Chettinad

For this edition (Dec week 2) of CCChallenge, I asked my older one to pick up one recipe from this called 'India Cookbook' by Pushpesh Pant. She did the homework for me by bookmarking a bunch of them. Needless to say, most of them were Potato based recipes.

There were some non-potato recipes as well out of which I picked this drumstick sambar from Chettinad. So as a compromise I made some baked potato wedges to with the sambar and all is well!!

Ingredients - 

Toor Dal 3/4 cup
Peanuts 1/2 cup (Not from the original recipe but added as my kids love them)
Drumsticks cut into 2 inch pieces 2 cups
Tomatoes 2 medium size (divided use)
Onions chopped 1-2 (I made a paste)
Tamarind extract 1/4 cup or as needed
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Salt as needed
Sugar/Jaggery as needed (Optional) 
Seasoning (Oil 1 Tbsp, Fenugreek seeds a pinch, Mustard Seeds 1 tsp, Urad Dal 1/2 tsp, Fennel Seeds a pinch, Asafoetida couple pinches, Curry leaves few)
For the Sambar Powder -
Dry Red Chillies 4
Coriander seeds 3 tsp
Cumin seeds a pinch
Whole Black Pepper 3-4
Fennel/Saunf a pinch
Rice 2 pinches
Chana Dal 2 pinches
Urad Dal 2 pinches


Drumstick Sambar From Chettinad

Method Of Preparation -
For the Sambar Powder -
Roast each of the ingredients listed separately and powder them. Set aside.

For the Sambar -
Pressure cook toor dal along with peanuts and turmeric.

I made a paste of the sambar powder obtained from above along with onions and one tomato. (This is optional)

After the cooker cools down, add the tamarind water, drumsticks, tomato, salt, sugar (if using), sambar powder mixture and let the sambar simmer until the drumsticks are cooked through. Add a cup of water to adjust the consistency.

Prepare the seasoning by heating oil, adding all the ingredients listed under seasoning. After the ingredients are roasted well,, transfer it to the simmering sambar. Cover and remove from fire.

Serve it with steaming hot rice and some baked potato wedges for a filling lunch!

Preparation Time 40 min
Serves 5-6
Posted by Harini R on Saturday, December 14, 2013

18 comments

  1. Priya Says:
  2. Sambhar looks delicious .That too with instant sambhar powder is the hit .

    MyKitchenOdyssey

     
  3. Drumsticks stand out of the sambhar. The preparation looks so tasty and inviting!
    Deepa

     
  4. Janani Says:
  5. I love sambar especially with drumstick its so flavorful and I love it.

     
  6. Delicious and flavorful sambhar..

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. delicious and flavorful sambar.. loved the 2nd pic :)

     
  9. very flavorful and delicious sambhar... Love the platter...

     
  10. Unknown Says:
  11. Drumstick sambhar looks awesome, an virtual treat, I must say :)

     
  12. I'm glad you like the book. Although I found a few of them very difficult to follow (as I felt his instructions were not clear enough) for the most part I am happy with the recipes I've tried.

     
  13. Very inviting clicks, drumsticks Sambars are so aromatic & delicious :)

     
  14. Unknown Says:
  15. Very refreshing and yummy sambar.

     
  16. Swapna Says:
  17. Looks yummy.. Want to prepare now..
    I recently started posting recipes and remedies. I am following your blog. Please check my blog and give any suggestions.
    www.allinmkitchen.com

     
  18. Very flavorful and tempting sambhar !

     
  19. Srivalli Says:
  20. That's a beautiful picture of sambar harini...my kids eat only drumstick sambar and nothing else!

     
  21. Drumstick sambhar is my kuttu's favorite, looks very inviting!!!!

     
  22. Suma Gandlur Says:
  23. Looks delicious.
    I am noticing fennel in sambhar powder. Vella sambhar and mana version different anipinchinda meeku?

     
  24. nayana Says:
  25. dish looks so inviting and adding drumsticks is too tempting....

     
  26. Like the sambhar powder spices. The sambhar would have tasted awesome with all those spices.

     
  27. Pavani Says:
  28. Awesome looking sambar. That spice powder sounds so flavorful. Will have to try this son.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory