Vegetarian Paella

I first came to know about this variety of  Spanish rice from my older one's Spanish teacher last year. From then on, my daughter has been behind me to make this for her. Finally I was able to satisfy her wish. 

Apparently, this is a very popular rice dish which has its origins in Valencia, a region in the Mediterranean coast of Spain. I understand that there are stalls in some famous streets of London where there are Paella pans (special pans used to cook Paella) with the rice cooked fresh on hot coals and served. 

According to many sources on the web, the paella pans are so huge that they are not suitable to be used on gas/electric burners. The pans are placed on huge BBQ grills and the rice cooked in them is supposed to be superior in taste.

Since I have limited resources in my humble kitchen, I used a smaller pan and cooked this delicious rice on my stove-top. I have deliberately made it very bland without any spice/heat in there as this was made primarily to please my kids.

Btw, it is pronounced as "pie-AY-ya".

This qualifies as the first post under the International Street Food theme for Week 2 of BM #37.


Vegetarian Paella

Recipe Source - Here
Ingredients - 

Olive Oil 2 Tbsp
Garlic, grated 3-4 cloves
Onion, chopped 3/4 cup
Uncooked Basmati Rice 1 1/2 cups (Traditionally, Spanish Rice is used)
Saffron strands 1/4 tsp
Tomatoes, chopped 3/4 cup
Green Bell Pepper, cored, chopped 1/2 cup (I didn't add)
Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper, cored, chopped  1/2 cup
Lima Beans (Frozen or Dried - The dried ones need to be soaked overnight) 1 cup
Vegetable Broth 2 cups + 3 Tbsp
Green Peas, Fresh or Frozen 1 cup (I used Frozen)
Salt as needed
Lemon / Lime juice as needed


Vegetarian Paella

Method Of Preparation -

Heat Olive oil in a wok/Kadai. Saute the grated garlic, onion until the onions turn light brown.

Add the uncooked rice and saffron strands and saute until the rice changes color.

Add chopped tomatoes, bell peppers, lima beans and let them cook.

Pour in 2 cups of vegetable broth, reduce the flame, cover and let it cook for 10 minutes.

Add the peas and let those cook as well.

If the liquid is all absorbed, add a few tablespoons of broth and let it cook until the rice is cooked al dente.

Remove from fire and keep it covered. Squeeze some lemon/lime juice as needed just before serving.

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 37.

Preparation Time 25 min
Serves 4-5

12 comments

  1. Pavani Says:
  2. Paella has been on my to-make list for a long time as well. Yours looks colorful and delicious.

     
  3. The texture of the rice looks so even and inviting. Excellent preparation.
    Deepa

     
  4. Unknown Says:
  5. Tasty and flavorful rice!

     
  6. nice dish and the dish served is beautiful too

     
  7. Love the vegetarian version seen the seafood version many times on tv.Will try it soon.

     
  8. Looks great. Love the garnish. I know my daughter will love this.

     
  9. Unknown Says:
  10. Looks tasteful & delicious.. should give it a try very soon..

     
  11. Srivalli Says:
  12. Hearing this for the first time...the rice looks so good in terms of texture and plating!..very nice one Harini..

     
  13. The pans are huge. I got carried away and bought a medium pan which is almost 15" wide. I used it only once. I could have made the paella in a pan too but I was too ambitious! Paella looks colorful and delicious !

     
  14. Jayashree Says:
  15. Very colourful and delicious.

     
  16. this is one of my all time favorite dishes and I even was lucky enough to have it in Spain also albeit with all the meat and seafood!

     
  17. Unknown Says:
  18. Nice article thanks for sharing.......
    please visit in this site for kathi roll which is very good in looking and test....
    chinese restaurants in laxmi nagar

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory