Amba Saandan

When one thinks of Maharashtra, one thinks of Mumbai (the city of opportunity), Pune, Nagpur etc. in that order. And when one thinks of food, then the street food from Mumbai figures prominently. 

But here is a very traditional and a now-forgotten recipe from the coast of Maharashtra. Thanks to my friend, Shalaka, who shares my passion of digging out forgotten recipes, this has taken a prime place on our dining table.

Shalaka says, it was a childhood favorite of hers and she rarely prepares this at home today. I shared some of what I prepared at home and she was pleased to have it and become nostalgic over it.

Traditionally, the batter is wrapped either in Turmeric leaves or banana leaves and then steamed. As with everything, the modern cook has improvised it to steam in the idli-moulds to suit his/her convenience without compromising the quality of the snack.

Trust me when I say it is addictive. Check for yourself while I am off to the NE state of Manipur.

Amba Saandan

Ingredients - 

Semolina/Sooji/Bombay Rava 1 1/2 cups
Sugar 3/4 cup to 1 cup (Adjust as per the sweetness of mango pulp)
Milk 1 cup
Curds/Yogurt 1/4 cup
Ghee 1 tsp
Coconut 1 cup (I used frozen, grated)
Mango Pulp 1 cup (I used store bought)
Baking Soda a pinch
*Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp (Optional - I didn't add)
*Decorate by adding cashews. Or Sprinkle some Sweetened coconut flakes for a festive touch!


Amba Saandan

Method Of Preparation -


In a heated pan, add ghee and roast the rava/sooji until it is golden brown.

Blend sugar, milk, yogurt, coconut, mango pulp in mixer.

Transfer the blended mixture into a mixing bowl, and gradually add the roasted sooji. Make sure there are no lumps.

Sprinkle a pinch of soda and gently mix.

Pour ladle full of batter in each of the idli-moulds (top it with a cashew on each) and steam for 15 minutes.

Remove and serve hot as a snack and enjoy the coconutty-mango flavor. Garnish as per your fancy.


Amba Saandan
Without garnish



Preparation Time 10 min + Steaming time 15 min
Makes 24

23 comments

  1. Priya Suresh Says:
  2. Aamba Saandan is quite a different and new dish for me, will make once i get mango here, delicious steamed cakes.

     
  3. wow Harini..this looks mind blowing..new and delicious..would love to try this!!

     
  4. looks wonderful bookmarked to try :)

     
  5. Priya Says:
  6. oh they look so awesome .sweet rava idli.

     
  7. divya Says:
  8. Awesome....simply awesome...

     
  9. wow very interesting n yummy recipe..

     
  10. I have heard of this recipe but never eaten it. Very rich recipe! I must try it.

     
  11. Suma Gandlur Says:
  12. I initially read the title as amba sadan and was wondering that it sounded like a restaurant name. :)
    Interesting sweet dish, harini. As I mentioned earlier loving all your posts. You have put a lot of thought into this.

     
  13. Anonymous Says:
  14. yummyyyy sweet treats :)

     
  15. This is quite a new dish to me. These look so inviting...

     
  16. Unknown Says:
  17. that is new to me!!! looks so tempting and irresistible..

     
  18. Srivalli Says:
  19. That's really so new to me Harini, thanks for sharing this with us..the pictures are so good..

     
  20. jayanthi Says:
  21. so nice.. these are like sweet mango rava idlis.. tiffen, dessert, snack all rolled into one

     
  22. Pavani Says:
  23. Very new dish and those do look very addictive.

     
  24. what a treat - looks so delicious

     
  25. Sounds new to me,looks so delicious and inviting...

     
  26. Such a lovely recipe and I love the tropical goodness that this dish has! Will have to try this out for sure :)

     
  27. Archana Says:
  28. Wow this is delicious and totally new to me. Love the name it had me wondering. Its totally so yum and healthy. Thanks this can be a new dish tried home.

     
  29. Archana Says:
  30. Wow this is delicious and totally new to me. Love the name it had me wondering. Its totally so yum and healthy. Thanks this can be a new dish tried home.

     
  31. You indeed dug out an old forgotten recipe. This is totally new to me. It looks like a sweetened mango flavored rava idli. Do not know if rava idli is hte right analogy thought. Anyway, thanks for sharing this recipe and introducing us to this new recipe.

     
  32. Unknown Says:
  33. omg amba saandan looks fabulous and you done a lot of research na gud job dear :) this is a totally new dish to me even looks fabulous , i wud love to try this out some time !!

     
  34. Padmajha Says:
  35. Never heard of it before! Truly you have dug out a traditional recipe Harini.Kudos to your efforts and a very nice recipe indeed....

     
  36. Dely Bites Says:
  37. looks wonderful bookmarked to try :)Visit Our Services
    Granola Cereal in India | Breakfast Cereals in India | Instant Breakfast in India

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory