Ja Dai

After tasting the dessert from Manipur, Lets just hop over to another state, Meghalaya, right here in the North East. As I have mentioned previously, We lived in the neighboring state of Assam for 4 1/2 years. And I can't say I remember ever travelling to Shillong :).

As I understand, this state is also dominated by different tribes and the Khasis are a dominant tribe here. I had tough time looking out for authentic vegetarian recipes for this state as well. But when I saw this article, I thought I can work around the information in that article.

I made this Ja Dai (Ja=Rice, Dai=Dal) and my husband pretty much enjoyed it with Aloo-Gobi, which was a surprise! This is essentially a bland version of Khichdi, so a spicy curry is perfect to enjoy the ginger flavored khichdi. 


Recipe Source - here
Ingredients -

Red Lentils / Masoor Dal handful
Rice 1/2 cup
Salt as needed
Ginger, finely chopped 1 tsp
Onion, chopped 1/4 cup
Oil 2 tsp

Ja Dai

Method Of Preparation -


In a pan, heat oil and saute ginger and onion until the onion is translucent.

Add in the washed red lentils and saute for a minute. Add about 3/4 cup of water and cook until the lentils are cooked al dente. 

I used some leftover cooked rice but traditionally I understand that rice is added to the dal and they are cooked together.

Sprinkle salt as needed and serve with accompaniment of your choice.


Preparation Time 20 min
Serves 1-2
Posted by Harini R on Friday, April 18, 2014

24 comments

  1. how simple can food be!..it looks so comforting, no wonder your hubby enjoyed it.

     
  2. Ja dai looks good. I made jadoh and it was a bit bland even though I added chilies to spice it a bit. However, I liked it with the spicy chutney, another Khasi delicacy

     
  3. Srivalli Says:
  4. That's really so simple..I am amazed at how well our friends have interpreted the recipes and have arrived at very tasty sounding dishes..great job yaar..

     
  5. Priya Suresh Says:
  6. Ja dai looks wonderful,simple and quite a different dish. You have done a wonderful job by bringing out Ja dai virtually.

     
  7. Priya Says:
  8. wonderfully presented ja dai .very tempting

     
  9. A simple, colorful and healthy basic recipe. Looks yummy!

     
  10. Anonymous Says:
  11. beautiful presentation dear :) great recipe shared

     
  12. i love recipes with less ingredients and this is perfect..nice dish

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. man I love this... why did not get such a nice one for Meghalaya!!! looks awesome!!

     
  15. jayanthi Says:
  16. perfectly done.. simple and tasty dish

     
  17. Suma Gandlur Says:
  18. Simple and yummy. I love how each grain stands out separately.

     
  19. Ja Dai looks so nice...

     
  20. Pavani Says:
  21. That is such a simple dish, may be my kids will like it with some yogurt.

     
  22. Kalyani Says:
  23. Local khichdi with a twist / cud have it with Raitha and some papad

     
  24. perfect side dish

     
  25. Comforting one pot meal,sounds very healthy..

     
  26. Archana Says:
  27. Wow a simple delicious and healthy one pot meal. No wonder your husband liked it.

     
  28. Archana Says:
  29. Wow a simple delicious and healthy one pot meal. No wonder your husband liked it.

     
  30. Unknown Says:
  31. very comforting and delicious ja dai :) tempting me dear !!

     
  32. Padmajha Says:
  33. The rice and dal combo has turned out so well Harini!

     
  34. Anonymous Says:
  35. This website was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something that helped
    me. Thanks!

     
  36. Anonymous Says:
  37. Hello, I enjoy reading all of yoսr post.

    I like to write a little comment to support you.

    find out here now : How To Password Pгotect Folder The Spartan Way

     
  38. Anonymous Says:
  39. Wⲟԝ, fantastic blog layout! How lߋng have you ƅeen blogging for?
    you make blogging look easy. Ƭhe overall look of your site is great, let alone tһe content!

    this link : Ηoѡ To PassworԀ Protect Folder When Nobody Else Will

     
  40. Kalyani Says:
  41. Hi Harini ! how have u been ? I made this recipe and posted it now with a link back to your post :) thanks for a simple, yet wonderful recipe !

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory