Ja Dai

After tasting the dessert from Manipur, Lets just hop over to another state, Meghalaya, right here in the North East. As I have mentioned previously, We lived in the neighboring state of Assam for 4 1/2 years. And I can't say I remember ever travelling to Shillong :).

As I understand, this state is also dominated by different tribes and the Khasis are a dominant tribe here. I had tough time looking out for authentic vegetarian recipes for this state as well. But when I saw this article, I thought I can work around the information in that article.

I made this Ja Dai (Ja=Rice, Dai=Dal) and my husband pretty much enjoyed it with Aloo-Gobi, which was a surprise! This is essentially a bland version of Khichdi, so a spicy curry is perfect to enjoy the ginger flavored khichdi. 


Recipe Source - here
Ingredients -

Red Lentils / Masoor Dal handful
Rice 1/2 cup
Salt as needed
Ginger, finely chopped 1 tsp
Onion, chopped 1/4 cup
Oil 2 tsp

Ja Dai

Method Of Preparation -


In a pan, heat oil and saute ginger and onion until the onion is translucent.

Add in the washed red lentils and saute for a minute. Add about 3/4 cup of water and cook until the lentils are cooked al dente. 

I used some leftover cooked rice but traditionally I understand that rice is added to the dal and they are cooked together.

Sprinkle salt as needed and serve with accompaniment of your choice.


Preparation Time 20 min
Serves 1-2
Posted by Harini R on Friday, April 18, 2014

20 comments

  1. how simple can food be!..it looks so comforting, no wonder your hubby enjoyed it.

     
  2. Usha Rao Says:
  3. Ja dai looks good. I made jadoh and it was a bit bland even though I added chilies to spice it a bit. However, I liked it with the spicy chutney, another Khasi delicacy

     
  4. Srivalli Says:
  5. That's really so simple..I am amazed at how well our friends have interpreted the recipes and have arrived at very tasty sounding dishes..great job yaar..

     
  6. Priya Suresh Says:
  7. Ja dai looks wonderful,simple and quite a different dish. You have done a wonderful job by bringing out Ja dai virtually.

     
  8. Sathya Priya Says:
  9. wonderfully presented ja dai .very tempting

     
  10. A simple, colorful and healthy basic recipe. Looks yummy!

     
  11. beautiful presentation dear :) great recipe shared

     
  12. i love recipes with less ingredients and this is perfect..nice dish

     
  13. man I love this... why did not get such a nice one for Meghalaya!!! looks awesome!!

     
  14. perfectly done.. simple and tasty dish

     
  15. Suma Gandlur Says:
  16. Simple and yummy. I love how each grain stands out separately.

     
  17. Ja Dai looks so nice...

     
  18. Pavani N Says:
  19. That is such a simple dish, may be my kids will like it with some yogurt.

     
  20. Kalyani Says:
  21. Local khichdi with a twist / cud have it with Raitha and some papad

     
  22. perfect side dish

     
  23. Comforting one pot meal,sounds very healthy..

     
  24. Wow a simple delicious and healthy one pot meal. No wonder your husband liked it.

     
  25. Wow a simple delicious and healthy one pot meal. No wonder your husband liked it.

     
  26. very comforting and delicious ja dai :) tempting me dear !!

     
  27. Padmajha PJ Says:
  28. The rice and dal combo has turned out so well Harini!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Followers

Member Of

Top Food Blogs
Town Square Dr.5z5 Open Feed Directory Blog Blog Blog Directory