Madhurjan Thongba

After an addictive snack from Maharashtra, it is time to take a quick peek into Manipur, another North Eastern state for a unique dessert.

One thing which strikes a chord about Manipur is their famous Manipuri dance. It is mesmerizing, to say the least!

Anyway, coming to the research of vegetarian dishes, it was very hard for me to lay my hands on some authentic vegetarian dish. Luckily, I finally found this unique dessert which is very popular in Manipur.

This dessert calls for fried chickpea dumplings soaked in sweetened milk. I agree that our palates need some adjustment to appreciate this dessert. But my little one (so was I) was intrigued and enjoyed consuming this dessert!

Check if you are adventurous enough to taste this while I travel to the neighboring state of Meghalaya, which gave me an equally hard time figuring out their vegetarian options :).


Recipe Source - here
Ingredients - 

Besan / Chickpea Flour 1/2 cup
Salt a pinch
Baking Soda a pinch
Milk 2 cups
Nuts (as needed to enhance the taste)(I added Cashews and Almonds)
Sugar 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp (divided use)
Tej Patta 1 small
Coconut, grated 2 Tbsp (Optional)
Oil to deep fry

Method Of Preparation -


In a mixing bowl, add besan, salt, baking soda, a teaspoon of sugar, and knead into a stiff dough adding as much water as needed.

Heat the oil in a frying pan.

Make small lollipop size round pieces of the dough and gently slide them into the hot oil.

Fry them all until they are golden brown.

Remove onto paper towel to drain excess of oil.

Boil milk and sugar adding whatever nuts you prefer. Also add in the Tej Patta for the authentic taste!

Add in the fried besan pieces and coconut (if using) into the simmering milk and remove after about 3-4 minutes.

Garnish with more nuts and serve hot or cold.



Preparation Time 20 min
Makes 2 cups 

17 comments

  1. looks like mini rasgullas dunked in ..awesome!a very unique dessert!

     
  2. Another chickpeas dumpling dessert for this state. Looks divine. Isn't it interesting that tej patha is used even in desserts!

     
  3. wow ths s so good .. nice recipe

     
  4. Priya Suresh Says:
  5. Manipuri jamun isnt it, this is how i'll name it, Madhurjan is just irresistible.

     
  6. I made this too. Very unique taste. Different in a good way.

     
  7. Suma Gandlur Says:
  8. Sounds so cool with chickpea dumplings. Now I am looking forward to your other dishes from the NE regions. Yours are really interesting.

     
  9. Anonymous Says:
  10. different drink yummy

     
  11. Unknown Says:
  12. that is so tempting and refreshing... and what you said is so true - " agree that our palates need some adjustment to appreciate this dessert" Definitely true..

     
  13. jayanthi Says:
  14. wonderful new dessert to try. totally novel

     
  15. Srivalli Says:
  16. The drink looks amazing Harini..for all the research I did, looks like either I didn't enough or understand, this sounds so good for me to make..:)

     
  17. Seeing so many kheer recipes today. This looks so new and yumm....

     
  18. Pavani Says:
  19. That is a yummy looking dish from Manipur.

     
  20. just saw Varada's version - they both look so yummy

     
  21. Such a delicious looking kheer,sounds inviting..

     
  22. Archana Says:
  23. like Vaishali say they look like mini rasgulla. I love this dessert I do not know how I missed it. as for the Manipuri dances I love them.

     
  24. Unknown Says:
  25. madhurjan thogba is just irristible and eye catchy dessert love the way those jamuns floating loving it :)

     
  26. Padmajha Says:
  27. Lovely dessert. I have seen a few version of these in this BM and now I have made up my mind to try i. My bookmarks list is growing!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory