Doodhi Batata Sabji

BM #63 Day 4  -

The fourth letter 'D' had me scrambling on the D day, so to say. I was all set to post the originally planned, cooked and clicked recipe only to realize that I had used the English name for the vegetable and wanted to stick to the rules as much as possible. The rule being that the name of the dish needs to be in the native tongue, in my case, Marathi.

So, my sweet friend came to the rescue yet again. She came up with couple more recipe names starting with D and this recipe seemed a quick and delicious one and would double up for tonight's dinner as well :).

Recipe Source Shalaka
Ingredients - 

Bottle Gourd / Doodhi / Sorakaya peeled and chopped 1 cup
Potato, peeled and cubed 3/4 cup
Onion, chopped 1/2 cup
Tomato, chopped 1/2 cup
Salt, Red Chili Powder and turmeric as needed
Dhania Powder 1 tsp
Cumin Powder 1/2 tsp
Coconut, fresh or frozen 2 Tbsp
Seasoning (Oil 2 tsp, Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp, Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp, Curry leaves)


Doodhi Batata Sabji

Method Of Preparation -


In a heated pan, add oil. After the oil is sufficiently heated, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds. After they crackle, add curry leaves.

Saute the onions until they turn translucent. Add the chopped tomatoes and coconut and let the tomatoes turn mushy.

Add turmeric, chili powder, cumin and dhania powder.

Mix well. Add water and the chopped doodhi and chopped potato. Sprinkle salt as needed.

Cover and let the vegetables cook (approximately 8-10 minutes).

Remove from heat and serve with Roti or Rice.



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63




Preparation Time 25 min
Serves 4-5
Posted by Harini R on Tuesday, April 5, 2016

20 comments

  1. Smruti Ashar Says:
  2. I make this very often as a lunchbox sabji. Yours looks great!!

     
  3. Suma Gandlur Says:
  4. I think upto three dishes are exempt from the rules, right Harini? It would be hard to dcramble for recipes on the same day but you still managed. I make this curry without potatoes though and it sure goes well with rotis.

     
  5. Lovely sabzi , real comfort food . Good you realized before posting . We all want to post real authentic names 😊

     
  6. Harini R Says:
  7. Suma you are right, the difficult letters have exceptions, but there are still some difficult letters ahead of us, right?

     
  8. This is my kind of comfort food! My son loves doodhi and I make it very often. Never tried adding potatoes to it. I will try it next time.

     
  9. Simple and comfort subzi,perfect with both rice and Roti..

     
  10. Interesting combo, very comforting dish. Looks delicious:)

     
  11. Srivalli Says:
  12. Harini, I think you managed to come up with a topper!..I love this subzi..Even I was head over D, and couldn't do Doodhi halwa as I have already done it...it was quite interesting to think on the regional names..

     
  13. Nice combination of potatoes and Doodhi. Perfect for rotis and rice..

     
  14. Kalyani Says:
  15. A comforting meal, I make this similarly with cooked black chickpeas in place of potato and with the same masala :)) like the click with rice and sabji :)

     
  16. Loving your recipes thus far. All simple recipes and can be easily be incorporated to our daily menu.

     
  17. Unknown Says:
  18. Lovely and very comforting food looks yummm.

     
  19. Pavani Says:
  20. Potato and lauki is an interesting combination. Curry looks so yummy!!

     
  21. Priya Suresh Says:
  22. I love this combo in our South Indian kootu curries, this sabji tempts me a lot, cant wait to make some soon.

     
  23. I sometimes make aloo and doodhi together almost the same way but without coconut.Good choice.

     
  24. Padmajha Says:
  25. For some alphabets, getting the name in the native tongue is difficult! Anyway, this sabzi looks good and I would love to pair it with chapathi...

     
  26. priya Says:
  27. My dad loves doodhi batata along with rice... Great share

     
  28. with the coconut must be such a tasty side dish

     
  29. Unknown Says:
  30. I only make curry/gravy with bottleguard. Sabji sounds interesting...

     
  31. nice looking bhaji..

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory