Kala Vatana Sabji

BM #64 Week 4 Day 1 -

This week it is all about the bookmarks from the previous mega marathon.

I have made a lot more from what my friend, Shalaka, shared. But unfortunately I lost all the pictures when the hard disc crashed a few weeks back. So I have made a few more from her recipes as they sounded awesome.

I had never seen nor tasted these beans known as Kala Vatana. These had an earthy taste and quite different from the regular Vatana. My friend was gracious enough to share these kala vatana with me so I could make this sabji. I have since been unable to find these in the local Indian stores. 


Kala Vatana

Recipe Source Shalaka
Ingredients - 

Kala Vatana washed and soaked overnight 1 cup
Tomato, chopped 1 
Salt as needed

Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Seasoning (Cooking Oil 1 Tbsp, Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp, Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp, Asafotida a pinch and curry leaves)
For the Gravy -
Cooking Oil 1 Tbsp 
Onions, chopped 1 cup
Ginger-Garlic Paste 1 tsp
Coconut Powder 1/4 cup
Chili Powder as needed 
Garam Masala as needed
Coriander Stalks few



Kala Vatana Sabji

Method Of Preparation -


Pressure cook the kala vatana with adequate salt and water.

Meanwhile prepare the gravy - 
Heat a pan and dry roast coconut powder until golden brown. Set aside. 
In the same same heated pan, add oil. Saute onions, ginger-garlic paste. After they turn a shade of golden brown, add turmeric, chili powder and garam masala and fry for a few seconds.
Add water and let it simmer for a few minutes.
Remove and grind into a fine paste along with coriander stalks, adding as much water as needed. Set aside the gravy.

In a heated pan, add oil and prepare the seasoning. Add mustard, cumin, asafotida and curry leaves.

After the mustard seeds pop, add the ground masala paste, boiled kala vatana and salt. Adjust the consistency by adding water as needed. Adjust the flavors and let the gravy simmer for a few minutes until oil floats on top.

Remove from fire and serve with Roti/Rice.




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 64. 

Preparation Time 40 min
Serves 4-5
Posted by Harini R on Tuesday, May 24, 2016

14 comments

  1. Jayashree Says:
  2. I haven't seen these either. I kept thinking that it was kala chana. Does it taste different from regular vatana?

     
  3. Really good and healthy choice.

     
  4. Srivalli Says:
  5. I am sure it must have tasted awesome..so nicely plated!

     
  6. The laala vatana are new to me too Harini, nice of your friend to share them.

     
  7. Kala vatana subji looks delicious and must have tasted great with rice. Nicely presented.

     
  8. Sarita Says:
  9. Kala vatana looks great.. Recently I had tasted this curry in friends home who hail from Maharastra.. Nice and tasty.

     
  10. I haven't heard of these beans. The sabzi looks really good..

     
  11. Green and yellow are the only vatana I have seen. This one is new for me.

     
  12. Priya Suresh Says:
  13. Omg, that platter is just calling me, sabji looks fantastic and filling.

     
  14. Never heard of this but the curry looks inviting.

     
  15. A simple, healthy nourishing curry..already feeling hungry :)

     
  16. Sowmya :) Says:
  17. Looks tasty and healthy...what more to ask for

     
  18. I have never tasted kala vatana. Looks so delicious. This is all I need for my comfort lunch :)

     
  19. Pavani Says:
  20. Kala Vatana is new to me, will look for it in the Indian store. Curry looks so comforting and hearty.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory