Moong Usal

BM #64 Week 4 Day 3 -

Here is another legume based sabji from the Maharashtrian region. I am amazed at the variety of legumes used in their cuisine. 

I had initially noted down 'Misal Pav' for M. But somehow it didn't happen and it still remains in my to-do list. I am sure I will get it to it in the near future.

Moong Usal

Recipe Source Shalaka
Ingredients - 

Moong Beans 1 cup
Onions chopped 1/2 cup
Salt, Chili Powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Green Chili, Sugar as needed
Seasoning (Oil 2 tsp, Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp, Curry leaves few)


Moong Usal

Method Of Preparation -


Wash the Moong beans, soak them for 6-8 hours. Wrap them in a moist muslin cloth, cover in a container and set aside in a warm place for sprouting. I had to set aside for 20 hours for them to sprout beautifully.

Steam cook the sprouted moong beans.

Meanwhile, heat a pan and add oil. Mustard seeds and cumin go in next. After the mustard seeds pop, add curry leaves and saute the onions. Add the green chili and saute for a few seconds.

Sprinkle salt, turmeric, chili powder and transfer the boiled moong beans.

Mix well and add garam masala. The curry is semi dry or dry.

Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve warm with rotis. 

[I also served it garnished with green chutney, tamarind date chutney, onions, beaten yogurt and sev just as a chaat!]



Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 64. 

Preparation Time 30 min
Serves 6-8
Posted by Harini R on Thursday, May 26, 2016

9 comments

  1. This looks like a delicious and nutritious chat..

     
  2. Srivalli Says:
  3. Another moong dal sprouts!..wow I love this one as just a snack..very nice..

     
  4. Delicious Maharashtrian meal..love it anytime.

     
  5. I never tried usal with roti but the chaat version is very tempting.

     
  6. Sprouts are so healthy! Onion in usal is very new to me.

     
  7. Priya Suresh Says:
  8. My kind of food, can have it happily rite now, wish i get a bowl.

     
  9. Perfect and healthy looking Usal.

     
  10. Sowmya :) Says:
  11. Delicious bowl ...I could finish one right away

     
  12. Pavani Says:
  13. Yumm, that looks like a delicious chaat item -- healthy too.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory