Semolina Bread

Wiki says "Semolina is the coarse purified wheat middlings of durum wheat mainly used in making pasta and couscous.

It is widely used in Indian cooking and so this bread was a delight to bake with an ingredient very close to my heart. When my brain gave up on me and no yeast breads would pop out, Kalyani came to my rescue and she suggested that I look into this bread as this bread never fails. 

And just as Kalyani assured me, this bread rose beautifully and I probably should have used a smaller loaf pan to get the 'crowning' effect. But the texture and bite were perfect.

As I am composing this post, I am extremely disappointed that I lost loads of pictures from my SD card. But the silver lining is that I could recover a couple of pictures of this Semolina Bread.

Semolina Bread

Recipe Source here
Ingredients - 

Water 1 1/2 cups
Sugar 2 Tbsp
Active Dry Yeast 1 1/2 tsp
Semolina, Fine 3 1/4 cups (Use Chiroti Rava)
Salt 1 1/2 tsp
Olive Oil 1/4 cup

Semolina Bread

Method Of Preparation -


In a bowl add 1 1/2 cups of warm water, sugar and yeast. Mix well and set aside in a warm place for the yeast to get activated.

In a stand mixer bowl, add the fine semolina, salt, olive oil and mix well.

Add in the yeast solution and let the mixer knead for about 10-12 minutes until a soft and elastic dough is formed.

Oil the bowl and set aside in a warm place for the dough to get doubled (about 2 hours).

After the dough has doubled, deflate and roll into a loaf shape and place it in a 8 1/2 X 4 1/2 loaf pan, cling wrap loosely and place it in a warm place.

After the dough has risen to the top of the loaf pan or just over the top, preheat the oven to 375 °F.

Place the loaf pan in the middle rack and bake for about 35-40 minutes until the top is evenly brown and the sides are pulled to the center.

Remove from the oven and let it sit in the loaf pan for about 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and invert over a cooling wire rack.

Slice after the loaf is no longer warm.

We enjoyed the slices toasted, as grilled sandwiches and as chili cheese toast.


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 75





Preparation Time 15 minutes + Resting time 4 hrs + Baking time 40 minutes
Makes 9 inch loaf
Posted by Harini R on Saturday, April 22, 2017

10 comments

  1. Priya Suresh Says:
  2. Thats so sad, atleast you got some pictures of this bread na. Thank god. Simply love the crumb and the crust of this bread, well done.

     
  3. The bread looks gorgeous ! Tell me can we use the instant yeast ? If so what measurements ? I am loving your breads , seriously wishing we could live close by to learn from each other .
    Glad you could retrieve some clicks at least .

     
  4. Namratha Says:
  5. The crumb and texture look great! Semolina is so versatile and I'm enjoying baking with it too. Sorry to hear about the pics, it's disappointing indeed. Glad you were able to get these pics.

     
  6. Sowmya :) Says:
  7. It was on my list too but I totally exhausted Italy and couldn't sneak this in anywhere. Love the texture of your bread..s. It's bad about your pics...hope the rest of the pics are fine.

     
  8. Srividhya Says:
  9. oh wow.. super yum. Bookmarking it right away. Love that texture. super yum

     
  10. Srivalli Says:
  11. That's one super looking bread Harini, especially with rava, it must taste awesome..so sad about your lost pictures, glad at least you recovered these..how big a loaf do you get from this?

     
  12. Pavani Says:
  13. Perfectly baked Semolina bread Harini. It has got a beautiful crumb. So sorry hear about your pictures -- glad you were able to recover at least a few of them.

     
  14. This bread is in my to do list since Sandhya posted the same. It has hit a perfect texture and crust.

     
  15. My long term to do list !! But never gave try..Now that i got a perfect recipe to try!!

     
  16. Semolina is my best baked bread ever and I would bake this any day in a blink of an eye. This is one of the fast moving recipe from my site as well :) Looks gorgeous and perfect bread for the alphabet!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory