BM #89 Week 3 Day 3 - 

As part of whole grain cooking, I had this in my drafts for a few months now. I have cooked this khichdi a few times as I love the texture of barley. 

I actually add whatever vegetables I have on hand. This version of khichdi only zucchini and carrot.

Ingredients - 

Barley Pearls 1/2 cup
Moong Dal 1/2 cup
Carrots cubed 1 cup
Zucchini cubed 1 cup
Ginger, grated 1 tsp
Salt, Turmeric and Pepper as needed
Seasoning (Ghee 1 Tbsp, Mustard seeds 1 tsp, Cumin Seeds 1 tsp, Asafotida 2 pinches, Curry leaves few)



Method Of Preparation -


Wash and soak the barley and moong dal for a few minutes.

Switch on the power for the IP with the inner pot placed. Set it to 'Saute' mode.

When the display shows 'Hot', add oil and the seasoning. After the mustard seeds pop, add ginger and saute for a few seconds.

Add in the carrots and zucchini. Sprinkle turmeric and add the barley and moong dal [washed, soaked and drained].

Add salt and pepper along with 2 cups of water.

Set the mode to 'Manual' or 'Pressure Cook' [depending on the IP model]. Set it for 10 minutes. After it is done, let the pressure release naturally.

Remove from the IP. Mix well.


Garnish with roasted cashews. Enjoy it warm for a filling meal.



BMLogo




Preparation Time 30 minutes
Serves 2-3

14 comments

  1. Srivalli Says:
  2. That bowl of Khichdi looks yummy Harini. Your IP dishes surely make me feel J..hehehe..so versatile and useful. I enjoyed all your dishes this week Harini and I hope to make them sometime. I love one pot dishes..

     
  3. I have made barley khichadi and I took the inspiration from you . Now this version with veggies and nuts is something I am drooling over . Loved this series from you Harini .

     
  4. This version of barely kichdi sounds inviting..Enjoyed your kichdi series.

     
  5. This barley khichdi with veggies is definitely my type of khichdi. Surely going to include it in my diet

     
  6. Priya Suresh Says:
  7. Barley vegetable khichdi looks wholesome and nutritious, excellent way to sneak healthy barley in our diet.

     
  8. Barley veg khichdi looks so tasty and with veggies, it must have tasted just amazing.

     
  9. A really healthy twist to the regular kichdi. I haven't cooked with barley yet, but looking at your version of kichdi, I am tempted to try..

     
  10. Mayuri Patel Says:
  11. I feel like grabbing the whole bowl from the screen if I could. Looks so yummy. I've yet to make khichdi using barley. Since I'm here in Montreal I'm definitely taking back some barley pearls to use for cooking.

     
  12. cookwithrenu Says:
  13. Yum Yum, yes for a khichadi. I am a khichadi lover and this bowl looks so so inviting. Awesome

     
  14. what a perfect one pot dish for sure

     
  15. I love the texture and flavor of barley! Love this kichadi and what a wholesome meal this is.

     
  16. Sowmya :) Says:
  17. Wow! I am so tempted to grab a few spoonfuls of this khichadi....so so inviting!

     
  18. preeti garg Says:
  19. Barley khichdi looks so healthy and protein packed dish.

     
  20. img Says:
  21. Are you sure 10 min is enough for barley?

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory