BM #92 Day 18 - 

Radha Vallabhi is a traditional Bengali style Dal Stuffed Puri.
Many Bengalis start their day with these delicious treats.

The stuffing varies from family to family. Sometimes they are stuffed with Urad Dal and other times they are stuffed with Chana Dal along with spices.

I felt they are similar to the Bedmi Puris with slightly different spices. These are often served in temples as well.

So R for the traditional Bengali Puris, RadhaVallabhi or Radha Ballabhi.

Recipe Source here
Ingredients - 

All Purpose Flour/Maida 1 cup
Salt as needed
Ghee / Oil 1 Tbsp
Oil to deep Fry
Bhaja Masala - 
Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp
Coriander Seeds 1/2 tsp
Red Chili 1 
For the Filling - 
Chana Dal 1/4 cup soaked for 4 hours
Ginger 1/2 inch
Green Chili 1-2
Salt to taste
Bhaja Masala 3/4 tsp
Seasoning (Oil 2 tsp, Asafotida a pinch, Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp)


Method Of Preparation -
To Prepare the Dough - 
In a mixing bowl, add the flour and salt. Rub in the ghee/oil until the flour resembles bread crumbs.

Slowly add water and knead to a soft dough.

Cover and set aside for 30 minutes.

To Prepare the Filling - 
Grind the soaked and drained Chana Dal, ginger and green chili adding as little water as needed, into a a fine batter.

In a heated pan, add oil, fennel seeds and asafotida.

Add in the ground chana dal batter and cook while constantly stirring it.

Ensure that the mixture is dry. Add in salt and Bhaja Masala, mix well and remove from heat.

After the mixture is cool enough to touch, make 6 equal portions and set aside.

To Prepare RadhaVallabhi - 
Pinch 6 equal portions of the dough and roll them into smooth portions.

Take one portion at a time, latten with your fingers, press in the filling, close the edges and roll into thin discs.

Heat oil in a pan and gently slide the disc and fry on both sides until they are golden brown and puff out slightly.

Remove onto paper towels and continue with the rest of the dough.

Serve warm with any spicy accompaniment.


BMLogo


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 92




Preparation Time 40 minutes
Makes 6
Posted by Harini R on Friday, September 21, 2018

12 comments

  1. I love the name Radhavallabhi ! It has such a lovely ring to it , sounds so pure and divine .
    This is one Poori which I made years back and had loved , wondering why I haven’t repeated it ? Your platter with Channa looks awesome and I feel like digging in .

     
  2. Sowmya :) Says:
  3. These pooris look so delicious Harini. Love the stuffed Chana dal...wish I could have a bite right away!!

     
  4. Priya Suresh Says:
  5. I have bookmarked Radhavallabi for a Mega Bm, but the frying part pulled me to skip this bread for an another one. However am so tempted now to prepare this incredible channa dal stuffed bread.

     
  6. code2cook Says:
  7. wow Harini, you picked up such a great traditional recipe to try and document. I dint find it while searching. But looking forward to try it. such an inviting platter and surely no one can resist to munch on these.

     
  8. I remember this from Valli's post. The dal stuffed pooris look gorgeous and with Channa curry they must be so delicious..

     
  9. Mayuri Patel Says:
  10. Initially I had jotted down Radha Bhallabhi for letter R. Realized that I had blogged the basic yet rustic rotlo.. so change my mind. Your preparation looks so delicious and I love dal stuffed puris.

     
  11. Srivalli Says:
  12. Radha Bhallabhi always makes me nostalgic about the first Mega BM we did and how I spent researching on this for so many months. Your platter looks so sinful and inviting..wish I can make it again sometime..

     
  13. preeti garg Says:
  14. same pinch, I also made radhaballavi with r... Looks so tasty and delicious.

     
  15. cookwithrenu Says:
  16. Never heard or this, but looks good. Love your detail explanation. Would love to dig in that plate now.

     
  17. RadhaVallabhi has been on my bookmark for so long and I am so eager to make them soon. The name os the recipe is so captivating and love the flavors.

     
  18. Padmajha Says:
  19. That is such a nice recipe Harini.Esp.love the name!I first saw this on Vaishali's blog long time back and fell in love with it. This was my first choice for the alphabet but could'nt make it this time.Still in bookmarks. Seeing this dish today makes me want to try it out ASAP!

     
  20. The name sounds so auspicious. After making a couple of Bengali dishes in last few days, I have got the idea how delicious Bengali cuisine is. Radha vallabhi with chana looks so tempting

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory