I came across many versions of Vada Curry in the blogosphere in the past 2 years or so but I never had the chance to make this curry so far. The reason being folks at home don't believe in setting aside Masala Vada :) Now there came a day when we were expecting visitors and I had made masala vada en masse. It turned out that the visitors had to suddenly cancel their visit. That is how my version of the Masala Vada Curry happened!!


So here is the Masala Vada Curry for the 6th day of Srivalli's Blogging Marathon - Edition 9. Check out my fellow marathoners here.


Masala Vada Curry


Ingredients - 


Masala Vada 10 nos (Chana Dal , Onion, Green Chillies, Salt, Ginger, Mint)
Onion finely chopped 3/4 cup
Tomato puree (I used fresh) 3/4 cup
Ajwain/Vaamu 1 tsp
Ginger-Garlic Paste 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder just a dash (Remember I made this for the kids)
Salt as needed
Garnish with coriander leaves (My kids don't like the garnish but just for the picture :) )
Seasoning (Oil 1 Tbsp, Jeera 1/2 tsp)


Method Of preparation - 


In a heated sauce pan, add oil and jeera. After jeera browns enough saute the onions until they are translucent.


Add ginger-garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes away. Add the tomato puree and ajwain (Vaamu) powder. Add more water if required.


Break the Masala Vada into bite sized pieces and mix it into the simmering gravy.


Add salt and red chilli powder to taste.


Let the flavors blend in and remove from fire in 5 minutes.


Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot.


I felt that the vada absorbed all the gravy making the curry a little dry but the kids liked it with rice, so no worries!!


Sending this to Srivalli's 'Kid's Delight - Dressing up leftovers' guest hosted by me.




Preparation Time 25 min
Serves 3-4 
Posted by Harini on Friday, October 21, 2011

23 comments

  1. My Fav..need some idlies to finish it off..inviting click..

     
  2. Unknown Says:
  3. wow looks super yummy :)

     
  4. This dry version is new to me! I usually make the gravy version for Idli!

     
  5. Yummy looking curry dear. Great preparation.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  6. Suma Gandlur Says:
  7. As you said, any chances of having leftover masala vadas even at my home are scarce. This is a new version to me. .

     
  8. Deeksha Says:
  9. looks yummy!

     
  10. AJ Says:
  11. Looks delicious!

     
  12. Chitra Says:
  13. vada curry looks very tempting...

     
  14. the picture speaks so much of the taste

     
  15. Mélange Says:
  16. We too prepare it here,though in a different style.Yours looks truly tempting.

     
  17. Srivalli Says:
  18. Needless to say I love this Harini..:)

     
  19. Priya Suresh Says:
  20. Wow super delicious vada curry, love the way u turned ur vadas as a super delicious curry..

     
  21. Vada curry looks so inviting...

     
  22. vada curry looks so yummy and one of my fav..with idly and aapam.

     
  23. Wow... this is awesome!!
    Krithi's Kitchen
    Event: Serve It - Festival Potluck

     
  24. Vada curry looks simply superb.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

     
  25. delicious and tempting vada curry.

     
  26. Usha Says:
  27. I think I can finish if that bowl masala vada as it is, with out any rice

     
  28. wow... curry looks delicious... perfect makeover... glad to follow you... do visit my blog some time...

     
  29. abraham Says:
  30. These look delicious. chackoskitchen.com

     
  31. Unknown Says:
  32. tho i make this whenever there is leftover vada pindi...never thought of it as 'dressing up leftovers'..lol I guess it is! :) looks yum as always!

     
  33. Unknown Says:
  34. wow, I like the idea of this for leftover vadas, even if not fresh ones.

     
  35. Archana Says:
  36. I love this. This masala vada curry is new to me. Absolutely a must make.

    Happy Diwali and a Prosperous New Year!
    I am hosting a new event which I am calling Back to our Roots. Do check out my event and send me your entries from 15/10/11 to 30/11/11.

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory