My family is a major fan of Onion rings. I was not a great fan of these, until I made these baked onion rings. Actually a scary proposition pushed me into trying these. Last month, on a regular trip to Costco, S picked up the frozen onion rings. That sent all kinds of alarm bells in my mind :) That's when I casually told him that I would make onion rings at home and so the idea of buying the frozen kind was shelved for the moment. So typical of me that I totally forgot about that and last weekend, S reminded me of my promise regarding onion rings and so I looked around the web for the baked variety which landed me here


I would have baked 5-6 batches mixing the batter, crumbs at least 3 times owing to popular demand. In the end, I had to give up and declare the kitchen closed!! I felt bad for having done that but then I had no help and it was a long day :( I can't blame them either as they were super addictive! So for Day 3 of BM #7 here is the recipe for the crunchy baked onion rings..


Baked Onion Rings


Ingredients - 


Onions (about a pound) (preferably the sweet yellow onions)
All Purpose Flour / Maida 3/4 cup
Corn Starch 2 Tbsp
Milk 1 cup
Apple Cider Vinegar 1 tsp (or white vinegar)
Salt as needed
*Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs 1 cup
Italian Seasoning as needed (use any other spice powder of your preference)
Olive oil 2 tsp


* I used ready made seasoned bread crumbs for one batch and then powdered stale bread slices and added Italian seasoning for the subsequent batches. Both were equally good.


Note - 
I am not absolutely positive about the proportion of ingredients so be prepared for some alterations in the quantities of ingredients. Kindly use your judgement.


Method Of Preparation - 


Slice the onions into 1/2 inch rings and separate them. Cover them with a clean kitchen towel if they bother you. 


Preheat the oven to 450 F. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper and set aside.


In a medium size bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch and make a batter adding milk gradually. Make sure the batter is lump free and it coats the back of a spoon. Add the apple cider vinegar and set aside.


In another bowl, add the bread crumbs, seasoning of your choice, salt and any other spices if you so wish. Add a teaspoon oil and rub into the crumbs and keep it ready.


Now take each onion ring, dip in the batter with one hand and using the other hand roll it in the crumbs and arrange in the baking sheet. Take care that the crumbs bowl doesn't get soggy with the batter drops :)


Continue until all the rings are dipped, rolled and arranged on the cookie tray. You might need  2 - 3 trays depending on the number of onions you use.


Place the tray in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 8 min and then flip them and bake for another 6-7 min.


Baked Onion Rings




Taste to check if they are done and bake for a couple minutes more if needed.


Serve them with ketchup or as is. (I didn't have to serve them formally as they just disappeared off the cooling rack.


Sending these crunchy things to  Kid's Delight, guest hosted by Gayathri themed on Crunchy Snacks for Kids and also to Pari's 'Only Baked' guest hosted by me.




Also peep into my friends's spaces to check what they are cooking in this edition of BM #7.
Preparation Time 20 min + Baking Time 30 min (time varies according to the number of onions used)
Serves 3-4 (if you are lucky :))

29 comments

  1. divya Says:
  2. What a delightfully wonderful recipe...gorgeous!

     
  3. aipi Says:
  4. Who doesn't like onion rings.Now this is a recipe that makes them more eatable at will :)
    US Masala

     
  5. Pavani Says:
  6. Wow.. Those onion rings look PERFECT.. Almost like store-bought, but much healthier and yummier.

     
  7. Unknown Says:
  8. these are awesome ...and baked...bookmarked dear....

     
  9. Usha Says:
  10. Onion rings look perfect! and crispy just like the deep fried ones. Bookmarking the recipe

     
  11. Prema Says:
  12. Healthy version luks so tempting...

     
  13. Unknown Says:
  14. Hearing for the first time and looks mouth watering!!!!

     
  15. soujanya Says:
  16. Onion rings looks tempting..perfect..
    grt job...

     
  17. healthy snacks looks wonderful

     
  18. Radhika Says:
  19. I love them. So crunchy munchy. Thanks for sharing the recipe Harini.


    Event: Let's Cook – Subzis for Rotis

     
  20. Rekha shoban Says:
  21. healthy version!!looks crispy...perfect with tea!

     
  22. Vardhini Says:
  23. Wow .. baked .. looks so tempting Harini. Healthy :)

    Vardhini
    Check out my 100th post giveaway

     
  24. cripy perect onion rings

     
  25. Indian Khana Says:
  26. Looks yum ..love onion ring ....baked version is great

     
  27. Padmajha Says:
  28. They look so crunchy.No wonder they were popular!

     
  29. Laxmipriya Says:
  30. looks very crunchy.. Nicely cut Onions and tempting pics..

     
  31. Srivalli Says:
  32. hahah I can imagine your look Harini!..I had these some 15 yrs ago in a restaurant and came back home to experiment myself..I was so happy that I got the perfect texture back then..but it was oily mind up..I have it on the blog too..simply love these..baked version is so healthy right..

     
  33. This has been in my to do list for long. You have tempted me. These rings look absolutely delicious and thanks for linking..

     
  34. jayasree Says:
  35. Very crispy, just like the deep fried ones. Or should I say better without any oil in it. I can't wait to try it now.

     
  36. soujanya Says:
  37. Onion rings look sooo grt...
    thanks for sharing..

     
  38. Vatsala. Says:
  39. Very tempting.

    Invitation for a Potluck
    Event - LGSS_Potato

     
  40. Very healthy and i am sure taste good too

     
  41. Unknown Says:
  42. Yum, baked sounds superb !!!

     
  43. I am crazy about onion rings. And these look great. Would love to try them out. Do you thin apple cider vinegar can be substituted by regular white vinegar?

     
  44. Suma Gandlur Says:
  45. My kids would love that plate of onion rings. :)

     
  46. They look super crunchy and healthy variation compared to the deep-fried ones!

     
  47. Kalyani Says:
  48. Pass me that plate quick - baking these is a better reason to dig in !! Love it, bookmarked :)

    Kalyani
    Indian Mithai Mela ending 8th Aug
    Dish it out- Mushroom and Onions – ending 31st July

     
  49. vincent Says:
  50. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.  
  51. Rujuta Says:
  52. The onion rings look so crispy and crunchy..and baked version is great..less calories :))
    Happy Blogging
    Rujuta
    http://theworldaccordingtorujuta.blogspot.com/

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory