Mango Rasam

This delightful and summer-time rasam is one of my MIL's signature Rasams. She reminded me of the rasam a few days back when I asked her about some traditional rasam varieties. I then remembered enjoying the rasam couple summers after our wedding. 

Incidentally my mom makes this rasam in a different way and we used to love it too. My mom adds tomato and cooked Toor dal to the rasam as well and adds the tough mango seed (Mamidi Tenka in Telugu) as well. So the choice is yours.

Since we get raw mangoes almost all year round, we have the luxury of enjoying this summer time delight in the thick of winter around here!! So here is Mamidikaya Charu  for day 6 of BM 13.

Ingredients - 

Raw Mango chunks 1 cup (depending on the sourness of the mango)
Rasam Powder 2 tsp (or as needed)
Salt as needed
Turmeric 1/4 tsp
Sugar/grated jaggery 2 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Coriander leaves for garnish
Seasoning (Oil/Ghee 1 tsp, Jeera/Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp, Mustard Seeds 1/2 tsp, Curry leaves a few, Hing / Asafoetida 1/8 tsp)

Mango Rasam


Method Of Preparation -

Pressure cook the mango chunks and upon cooling, puree adding Rasam Powder and adequate water. (Mango chunks can also be cooked in the microwave to reduce the cooking time).

{My MIL's suggestion - Strain the puree and set aside. Add as much water as needed while checking the sourness of the puree. Add Rasam Powder separately. }


In a heated sauce pan, add oil/ghee and the rest of the seasoning ingredients. After the mustard seeds splutter, pour in the boiled mango puree.

Add about 2 cups of water (or as needed) and turmeric, salt, sugar/jaggery and bring the rasam to a boil.

Reduce the flame, sprinkle in some asafoetida for extra flavor and remove from fire after about 2-3 min.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Cover with a lid until ready to serve it with steaming hot Rice.




Preparation Time 30 min (incl mango cooking time)

Makes about 4 cups
Posted by Harini on Tuesday, February 21, 2012

16 comments

  1. Never tried rasam with mango. Looks yum and tangy

     
  2. Suma Gandlur Says:
  3. I love this one though I haven't made it myself.

     
  4. Rasi Says:
  5. This is new to me.. have never had this.. Love mangoes..i am sure will love this :)..looks great harini!

     
  6. sushma Says:
  7. Wow rasam with mango..super good

     
  8. Myvegfare Says:
  9. Mmm.., lovely rasam.., looks warming..

     
  10. Sangeetha M Says:
  11. Mango Rasam is new to me, sounds so yummy...great recipe Harini!!
    Thanks for sharing...
    Spicy Treats
    OnGoing Event:Show Me Your HITS~Healthy Delights

     
  12. veena Says:
  13. yummm....this looks very tangy and inviting Harini

     
  14. Srivalli Says:
  15. Looks so inviting Harini..bookmarked all the rasam recipes!

     
  16. Hema Says:
  17. Totally new to me, very nice one Harini..

     
  18. Anusha Says:
  19. new to me harini where did you get raw mangoes this early by the way? Will try this one as soon as i lay my hands on some mangoes

     
  20. slurrp....yummmy

     
  21. Delicious rasam...

     
  22. Unknown Says:
  23. Very lovely tangy rasam..

    Cuisine Delights
    My First Event-SPOTLIGHT:"COLOURFUL HOLI"

     
  24. Anonymous Says:
  25. Seems wonderful...raw mango to provide the sourness instead of tamarind or lemon! must try when i lay my hands on some raw mango!

     
  26. Fairy Garden Says:
  27. this is also new to me. should try it out.

    Ongoing Event: MurariAnniversary-Giveaway-2012

     
  28. Rujuta Says:
  29. New recipe for me.. must try this out.. Nice recipe and wonderful clicks

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory