Matki Usal

BM #63 Day 13 - 

After the fiery Lahsun Chutney yesterday, here is a protein packed usal. Usal in Marathi essentially means a sprouted beans curry made dry or as a gravy. 

After changing my options many times, I finally figured out that this Usal is the best bet given the time constraints and limitations of my pantry. 

My friend gave me two options of serving this usal. 1) With Roti or 2) As chaat. 

I served this usal as a chaat, a kiddo version and an adult version as that is the  best way to get the folks at home appreciate these bean based curries.


Matki Usal

The most heart warming experience was to see the moth beans sprouted in all its glory. In my happiness I totally forgot to capture those sprouts in my camera. But I am sure I am going to make this Usal often and so many more opportunities to click pictures :)

wrapped the soaked and drained moth beans in a moist muslin cloth, twisted the open ends and placed the twisted ends down in a container. Covered the container and placed it in the oven with just the light switched on. It worked wonders !! 
Note to self - try sprouting all the beans this way.

Matki Usal

Recipe Source Shalaka
Ingredients - 

Moth Beans 1 cup
Onions chopped 1/2 cup
Salt, Chili Powder, Garam Masala, Turmeric, Green Chili, Sugar as needed
Seasoning (Oil 2 tsp, Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, Cumin Seeds 1/2 tsp, Curry leaves few)

Serving suggestion - Serve it as a chaat for an enjoyable and nutritious evening snack. 
For the chaat - Tamarind Date chutney, Beaten Yogurt, Sev, Coriander leaves, Chopped onion as needed


Matki Usal

Method Of Preparation -


Wash the Moth beans, soak them for 6-8 hours. Wrap them in a moist muslin cloth, cover in a container and set aside in a warm place for sprouting. I had to set aside for 20 hours for them to sprout beautifully.

Steam or pressure cook the sprouted moth beans.

Meanwhile, heat a pan and add oil. Mustard seeds and cumin go in next. After the mustard seeds pop, add curry leaves and saute the onions. Add the green chili and saute for a few seconds.

Sprinkle salt, turmeric, chili powder and transfer the boiled moth beans.

Mix well and add garam masala. The curry is semi dry or dry.

Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve warm with rotis. 
Or
Make a chaat as I did and enjoy!


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 63




Preparation Time 
Serves/Makes
Posted by Harini R on Friday, April 15, 2016

15 comments

  1. Oh my such a mouth watering usal.Looks so tempting .

     
  2. Pavani Says:
  3. That is one healthy and delicious chaat Harini. Looks awesome.

     
  4. Usal looks yummy and I would prefer it as a chaat.

     
  5. Suma Gandlur Says:
  6. That is how I sprout during winter months and you can sprout all bean varieties this way. ☺
    This is a healthy and nutritious chaat and I love it over junk food, any given day.

     
  7. I normally get ready sprouts , but when I make it is in the similar fashion, love the dish with those accompaniments.

     
  8. Srividhya Says:
  9. I have used moth dal only for dals and panch mel dal. Subzi is something interesting.

     
  10. That is one nutritious power packed chat. I used to make sprouts like this, but now have completely forgot doing it..

     
  11. What a delicious chaat that's healthy and nutritious. Love it.

     
  12. Srivalli Says:
  13. Such a wholesome dish you got there harini. Very nicely presented.

     
  14. Smruti Ashar Says:
  15. Such a wholesome usal you got there. Lovely pick!

     
  16. Priya Suresh Says:
  17. Fantastic nutritious matki usal, such a protein packed dish. Super tempting usal.

     
  18. That is a power house chaat. I have some moth beans in the pantry. Let me set it to sprout. Thanks for sharing this yummy recipe!

     
  19. never heard of these beans - will have to be on the lookout for them

     
  20. Kalyani Says:
  21. after moving to mumbai was I introduced to matki and many more pulses .. sprouting them and serving them as chaat is a wodnerful idea for kids :)

     
  22. Unknown Says:
  23. what a healthy and delicious chat mouthwatering..

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory