Oats-Vermicelli Upma

I started off thinking I would make plain Oats Upma. But my pantry didn't allow me to as I realized that I had ran out of Oats. I just had about 1/4 cup of oats and since I had to make breakfast only for myself, I decided that I would pair the oats with Vermicelli/Semiya.

Here I tweaked the popular Semiya Upma by adding oats. I sure enjoyed my breakfast and I shall try to the same and feed my family next time and shall update the post about their reaction :). 

Before looking into today's recipe here is a recap of the past week..



So here is a sneaky breakfast for day 7 of BM #16

Ingredients - 

Vermicelli/Semiya 1/2 cup (I used roasted semiya)
Rolled Oats 1/4 cup
Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Green Beans, Corn and Peas) 1 cup
Onions chopped 1/4 cup
Peanut-coconut masala - 2 Tbsp (see the recipe here)
(I used 5 Almonds instead of peanuts)
Salt to taste
Seasoning (Oil 2 tsp, Chana Dal 1 tsp, Urad Dal 1 tsp, Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp, Curry leaves)
Lemon juice - 2 tsp

Oats-Vermicelli Upma

Method of Preparation -

Wash oats in running water, drain and set aside.


Add the roasted semiya to boiling water. Let them sit in the boiling water until they are just about cooked. It could take about 3-4 minutes. Ensure that it doesn't sit in the water for too long since it could turn soggy.

Immediately drain the water from the semiya and run cold water through it.

In a skillet on a medium-high flame, heat some oil and add the seasoning.

After the mustard seeds start crackling, add finely chopped onions and saute them to a golden color.

Boil the mixed veggies separately and add it to the sauteed onions.

Put in turmeric and salt as per taste. Add the peanut-coconut masala and mix well.

Add the oats and drained semiya and mix well for a minute.

Switch off the flame and squeeze in the lemon juice and mix well. Serve hot or cover it with a lid till it is ready to be served.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#16 .    

Serves 1
Preparation Time 15-20 min

8 comments

  1. Srivalli Says:
  2. Wow lovely colour Harini..and peanut coconut paste sounds good

     
  3. vidhas Says:
  4. Love the colour, adding oats to semiya uppma is new to me.

     
  5. Priya Suresh Says:
  6. Super healthy and definitely a filling upma.

     
  7. Wow!!!nice combo...never tried oats with semiya,looks healthy and tempting...

     
  8. I actually tried your sago upma yesterday - although the flavor was fab, I just don't think I like the texture of sago cooked as savory, but I loved the peanut coconut spice powder and will definitely try this one!

     
  9. Unknown Says:
  10. looks delicious...love the peanut masala you used...I am sure it tastes yu!m!

     
  11. Lovely combo!...u r totally a health freak Harini..wonderful recipes!!

     
  12. Very new method to Cook Upma!!! Looks yum!!!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory