BM #92 Day 13 -

Kulcha is a leavened bread typically made with flour and baking powder and the dough is kneaded with either milk or yogurt. I took some creative licence and made these Mewa Kulcha for a dessert and they turned out good and tasted like puran poli.

During a brainstorming session with my friend, she mentioned a savory version of Mewa kulcha and I noted it down as well. But when I started making it, I suddenly had the urge to check out how it would taste if it were a sweet and I am glad I tried this version. The savory version is for another time.

With this letter, M, we have reached the halfway mark of the month long alphabetical flatbread series. Lets recap the previous letters.

A - Achari Aloo Paratha

B - Boondi Paratha

C - Cheeni Ka Paratha

D - Dal Paratha

E - Edamame Paratha

F - Fried Naan

G - Gobi Paratha

H - Hara Bhara Paratha

I - Imli Ka Paratha

J - Janta Roti


K - Khoba Roti

We shall take a break for the weekend and come back on Monday to continue with the next Alphabet.



Ingredients - 
For the dough - 
All Purpose Flour (Maida) 1  cup
Baking Powder 1/2 tsp
Salt and Sugar a teaspoon each
Butter 1 Tbsp (softened)
Milk 1/2 cup + more as needed
For the Filling - 
Khoya crumbled 1/2 cup
Almonds, Cashews Chopped 2 Tbsp
Raisins 1 Tbsp
Sugar 2 Tbsp
Cardamom Powder 1/2 tsp
Saffron a pinch (Optional - I didn't add)

Method Of Preparation -
To Prepare the Dough
In a huge mixing bowl, add flour, salt and baking powder. Mix well.

In a smaller bowl, add milk, sugar and butter. Mix well until the sugar dissolves.


Add the milk solution gradually to the flour mixture and knead it into a soft dough.  Spray oil on the dough so it doesn't dry out, cover it and set aside in a warm place for about 1 hour.

To Prepare the Filling - 
In a mixing bowl, add crumbled khoya, crushed almonds and cashews, raisins, sugar and cardamom powder. Mix well and set aside.

To Prepare the Kulcha - 
Make 4 equal portions of the dough. 

Roll it out and put about 2 tablespoons of the filling, close the edges and roll out a thick circular disc.

Set the oven to Broil (High - 550 °F) and arrange the rolled out discs on a pizza pan or any sturdy oven safe pan. Broil for under 2 minutes while carefully monitoring them.

Flip them over for a few seconds and remove. Apply butter generously and store them away in a container.

Continue with the rest of the dough. [I was able to put two at a time in the oven.]


Serve warm for a dessert version of Kulcha. They tasted awesome even upon cooling.


BMLogo


Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 92





Preparation Time 30 minutes + Resting time 1 hour
Makes 4
Posted by Harini R on Saturday, September 15, 2018

12 comments

  1. Sowmya :) Says:
  2. That is a fabulous turn to the traditional kulcha!! Never thought of khoya and dry fruits stuffed in it...now that I have read and seen it, I want to try it out asap! Amazing dish!! Bookmarking

     
  3. Definitely a new twist to the kulcha and I bet a super one ! The kulcha sounds rich and royal with khoya and nuts . Excellent twist and so well made Harini .

     
  4. Priya Suresh Says:
  5. Am yet to try these sort of highly irresistible khoya stuffed kulchas, though i have bookmarked to make this rich kulchas since a long. And here you are, lovely pick for M Harini.

     
  6. OMG! That is a fabulous kulcha Harini. The filling is so rich and I am sure it taste divine.

     
  7. code2cook Says:
  8. Mewa kulcha sounds absolutely great. I find it a great recipe to make on any festival day. awesome idea.

    Using kitchen king masala is because we do not use garam masala. It does not suit us. Kitchen king is a milder version of garam masala n not hot. garam masala and refined flour are these two things which my father didnt like and I grew up without them almost. Now our tummy gets upset if I eat :(.

     
  9. cookwithrenu Says:
  10. Wow this is interesting , a mewa kulcha. Though I am not a lover of sweet bread, but this is surely tempting me to try. Bookmarking this.

     
  11. Mayuri Patel Says:
  12. These mega kulchas look so tempting. What an innovative recipe. I sure would love to try them out and serve them just with some masala tea.

     
  13. Srivalli Says:
  14. This is a fantastic one harini. Having tried some sweet paratha I can imagine how sinful this must have been. Btw the cooking time seems to be just 2 mins, will it get cooked by that time? Too good.

     
  15. preeti garg Says:
  16. Wow. this kulcha makes me hungry and perfectly baked.. good for sweet lovers.

     
  17. My husband would love this as he is a big fan of sweet naan. He always asks me to make the Kashmiri naan. I will make this for him sometime.

     
  18. My daughter is very fond of sweet breads and will certainly love this mewa kulcha. Will make it for her asap

     
  19. Padmajha Says:
  20. That is such a delicious flatbread Harini! I can literally feel the taste of this Mewa paratha. I am sure my kids will love this one as they enjoyed the other sweet flatbreads that i made for this series. Good one harini!

     
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search Tamalapaku


Follow me

Follow Me on Pinterest

Tamalapaku on Facebook

Subscribe via Email


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


On Our Menu









Archives

Followers

Member Of

All recipes are on Petitchef
Top Food Blogs
Blog Directory